1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News OCZ launches fastest 4GB DDR2 kit

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Apr 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Naberius

Naberius What's a Dremel?

I can't see the advantage of buying these over 4x 1gb dimm's, they look to wide for most motherboards to accept 4 of them so you are limited to 4gb anyway.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

They aren't too wide and not every board overclocks using 4x1GB sticks as much as just a pair of DIMMs.

4. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

5. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Sheesh! Makes me wonder how much these things weigh. Thoughts of them falling out of the slots from their own weight, lol.

6. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

Man the tubes necessary for 2 sticks of these. It would make a mess of your nice tubing having to run that much.

not to mention that it has been proven in benchmarks that the actual performance difference between the lowest speed RAM (DDR2 667) and the highest (DDR3 1333) is at max 10%. I bought 4gb of DDR2 800 @ 5-4-4-12 for $80. A strait conversion for mrb's link puts this kit at $277. That is over 3 times the prices for a 10% gain.

7. eternum

eternum *blam* shotgun fanhole

A lot of people would pay 3 or maybe even 4 or 5 times as much for a 10% performance gain - it just depends on what corner of the enthusiast community you fit into and what components you are talking about. I do like that the companies are trying to innovate, though. It may not always result in practical products, or in value for money, but it certainly pushes things forward.

8. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

sweet I have been waiting for something like this well now I just have to sit and wait. ^_^

9. boggsi

boggsi What's a Dremel?

They aren't necessarily being brought for the increase in memory benchmarks. The article states that if you want to overclock your cpu into extreme speeds, you need your memory to be able to take the FSB. Lifetime warranty with over voltage protection... that's pretty sweet!

10. BigPoppaJNutZ

BigPoppaJNutZ Beyond the Dremel...

Damn those look big!

Tags: Add Tags