1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Unboxing the Asus Eee PC 900

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 15 Apr 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

Last edited by a moderator: 15 Apr 2008
  2. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

Why do you taunt me so?

3. RTT

RTT #parp

want!

4. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

The original screen was too small. This version has now got me interested. Its a shame the processor is such a slouch though. But hey .. for £329... its ok. They should really stick to below £299 though.

Also.. some photo's next to other real world objects .. like a magazine please. So we get to appreciate its size.

I also think they should ditch the white plastic look. It tries to look like a mac book, but just looks cheap.

5. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

Shame the processor still blows.

6. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

hmm, I wonder if it is as easily extendible as the 700 series was.

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Pretty much the same hardware inside though, so it's easily overclocked to the full 900MHz.

8. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Looks quiet good, any idea if its going to be available in Black? Like the last, as it looked really smart.
    Although, maybe the price is a little steep, considering you can pick up a laptop for 50quid ish more, bah, oh well.

Sam

9. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

(how?) can you get one of these to run its CPU at stock speeds - or do you have to do the whole de-solder/re-solder with a new CPU?

edit; I'd probably get one of these just for movies on the go or to play diablo 2 while stuck in meetings or waiting for oppointments. speaking of diablo 2, can you get the screen to switch to 800x600 (native res of D2 LOD)?

10. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I just bought a black Eee PC 4G Surf knowing that a new one was not too far from release. I have no trouble with the screen size, only with the internal storage space, though a portable external will fix that. Any hopes of a CD/DVD drive on the Eee PC 900?

11. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

It will be available in black, yes. :)

13. ClearCaseMan

ClearCaseMan Acrylic GOD

at a glance this seems like a deal. but I just purchased a gateway laptop with a intel core duo 1.6ghz 3 gig of ram and a 250gig hd for $649.00 us the conversion from the 329.00 to us dollars is. 329.00 GBP = 645.920 USD to me it just seems more of a toy than a tool for that price when you can have much better for less.

14. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I wouldn't at all mind having one of these, provided I can get a longer-lasting battery. But even still, I'd probably wait until I can find some hacked version of Leopard to install on the thing (I DO have two unused seats from my family five-pack, after all).

15. Fusen

Fusen What's a Dremel?

are you sure the CPU isn't clocked at 900Mhz? Engadget reviewed the same model and their one wasn't underclocked.

Also, I'd wait till the Atom CPU is used around June instead of buying it now

16. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I really really want one, but I threw away a dell flyer yesterday offering a low spec laptop (semperon 2Ghz, 1Gb ram, 120Gb Hd) for about £270, probably exVAT, but still, that's a whole proper laptop, for just about the same price.

How about a quick poll on what OS B-T readers would by these with. Personally I might swap the included distro for Ubuntu, but why would you want to run windows on something like this? (I have a gaming rig with vista for that sort of thing)

17. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Your price conversion doesn't include tax which rapes us all quite alot in the uk.

18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Even so with so many proper laptops available around the £300 mark I fail to see the point to this, I like it because its small but with the eeepcs not having great battery life or performance you may as well buy a proper machine, if they could give you this at the originals price point then superb but over £300, much mor difficult purchase.

19. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I specifically asked the Asus rep who bought this round, so I'm pretty sure.

And @Firehed, you can get extended batteries direct from Asus I believe - but 2 and a half hours still isn't bad. I've had mind run for around 3 hours without using wifi before on one charge with the standard battery.

20. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

looks nice :) and yes there are laptops for £300, the point of the eeepc is that its so small, light and portable. I will wait a while in the hope the price dips below the £300 mark.

Tags: Add Tags