1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Square Enix: Japanese tech is just as powerful

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Apr 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

If final fantasy 13 looks as good as I think it will I completely agree with him.

3. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

All your base are just as good as us?

4. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Yes, if it looks as good as the image accompanying the article then sure, I'd agree. But time will tell. The FF series was renowned for the amazing CGI and cut scenes but 'average' in-game/gameplay graphics.

5. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

hmm, I thought their current engine was simply called 'white" for their ps3 games.
    aside form that, FF VS 13 looks pretty damn good and I'm eager to get my mitts on it (though I don't have a ps3): http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/16735

6. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Wha-?

Final Fantasy generally set the bar for 'the game with the best graphics' whenever it was released, no? This was true for VIII-X anyway (IMO).

I wouldn't call it average...

7. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Nice pre rendered cgi intro's don't make a game good. All those Japanese games have beautiful scenery but the game and game play is most of the time like playing a game of chess.

8. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

and even 7 at its launch, mind you it was only competeing against tomb raider at that point i think

9. knowyourenemy

knowyourenemy Professional Winner

What's wrong with chess?

10. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

Its an RPG not a FSP/3rdPS.

And since when does chess involve swords bigger then you head, majestic enviroments, and powerful moving stories?

(Though, you're right, a CGI-intro doesn't make a game. But 7-10/10-2 and Crisis Core have never let me down. And I'm sure someone will agree with that about 1-6.)

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

The best graphics awards tended to be from the CGI, not the standard gameplay. My copy of FFVII continues to state "the best graphics ever" or something to that general extent on the back, but even comparing other 1997-era games tends to show a pretty big difference in detail between in-game and prerendered content.

12. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Yeah they can code with the best of them but would it kill them to take a break from FF and maybe give us DQ fans a game or two. I mean hell, even an announcement of weather-or-not we're getting any of the new DS remakes of 4, 5, and 6 would be fine :(

I will say though, FF13 does look very pretty.

13. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I'm actually waiting for another Parasite Eve game....

According to Wikipedia, there is another one coming out, but it's for cell phones. BARF

And does anyone else have the game Ehrgeiz? It's a FIGHTING GAME made by SQUARESOFT for the Playstation. It was not only a fighting game, as it included a hack 'n slash dungeon crawler as well. Why isn't square doing more stuff like this?....

14. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

iirc thats not pre-rendered. development of fabula nova crystallis (the 3 ff13 games) started after the ff VII tech demo for ps3 was made. 13 and VS 13 were initially being made for the ps2 but shifted to the ps3 because of technical limits on ps2 (and the size of dvd's wasn't enough). I can't find any info about the trailer posted anymore but I'm pretty sure its real time, given that square-enix would have made a much better (graphically) trailer if it was pre-rendered. from what I recall, the graphics engine used for VS 13 uses 4 of the ps3 cell processors SPE's (or whatever the cores are named in the cell broadband cpu) to produce 'near pre-rendered visual quality".

15. Dr-Rogg

Dr-Rogg Two-wheeled terror of Tokyo

Lost in translation?

They have pretty stringent requirements for translators at Square-Enix. I applied for a supposedly part-time gig there, passed everything and finally got turned down simply because I already have a full-time job and they have a lot of lines of script to do :waah:

Tags: Add Tags