1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Kobalt has some sweet gaming notebooks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 18 Apr 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

well they certainly look nice thats for sure.

3. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick What's a Dremel?

If God himself wanted to redesign the universe from the ground up, and he wanted to be able to do it while vacationing in the Bahamas and looking really cool in his matching Kobalt Blue Oakleys, I think 5k on one of these beasts would fill his requirement. Color me mildly impressed.

4. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

Well if I could AFFORD it, then yeah-- sure it rocks. But doesn't every $5,000 ultra-high-end gaming laptop make you go "You know, if I had $5,000 -- I'd buy this thing."

5. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

Seems a little bit too think for my liking. exept for that i just killed a keyboard by drolling :p

6. TRG

TRG What's a Dremel?

Both rock and kobalt (just like every other company that makes 1337 laptops, like voodoo) just re-branded Clevo's. These guys do good paintjobs, and they pick out good parts to go into godly perfect Clevo chassis.

7. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

my question is why not for that price modify the clevo chassis to be all aluminum, and at that, where's the intel xeon quad core option..... for 5,000$, a desktop could be built that would not be obsolete for year after year. talk about some weight aswell, should come with some barbells to practice with carrying it around

8. reflux

reflux What's a Dremel?

I had a Dell XPS laptop for just over a year. It absolutely kicked arse to start with, but eventually the lack of upgradability and the fact that tweaking it was so hard made me sell it. The best balance IMO is to have a behemoth gaming PC and a mid-range laptop with half-decent dedicated graphics like the 8600M GT. Both together which would cost the same as a bespoke gaming laptop. That way, you can game wherever, but it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg and you have the big rig to go back to at home, which doesn't compromise on screen size/power/upgradability/anything.

9. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

thats pretty much what i do/have - and i agree with you

10. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

How is it for heat output under the WASD keys on your palm, my laptop makes my wrist uncomfortable after extended use at high load. Doesn't help that its aluminium mind.

11. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I'd pay £110 not to have that horrible blue flame paint job.

I can certainly see the virtue of these desktop replacement PCs if you do a lot of LANs though. Even taking my shuttle plus the necessary bits is a bit annoying, and it's a third the size of a desktop. But you certainly pay the price...

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yeah, gaming laptops need to be upgradeable if they're ever going to take off in a big way. The second problem is driver support - it's often not good enough.

13. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Beautiful paint job, but glossy screen = fail.

14. TRG

TRG What's a Dremel?

The second one can be fitted iwth a q6600 Quad core CPU, which is pretty nice for a laptop.

15. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I'm totally missing the point of those things.

Tags: Add Tags