1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Epic: No plans for another Unreal

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 May 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

boycotted already.

3. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

story drive? I played UT 2 the awakening and didn't give a flying f*** about the story 'cause it was utter rubbish. the only reason I picked it up was because it was $10 and I had just spent that much on breakfast 20 mins before buying it back in '06.
    they really do need to get their s**t together.
    *runs around in circles flailing arms around in the air*

4. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

They're not even putting UE4 on PC, how are they not bad? If that engine has even a quarter of the success of the current one it would still mean even less games ported to PC. Games like mass effect and bioshock...
    Oh and only being able to play gears on PC coop/multiplayer via xbox live is retarded. I'm not paying for that crap. Whatever happened to lan/offline functionality?
    Screw them.

5. Eloquence

Eloquence The cake is a lie!

Boycotted

6. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

let them play on there consoles, PC's already surpassed them

7. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

The first Unreal single player game was a legend, despite not really having much of a story. The Unreal II single player game was rubbish.

If they make another GOOD game, I will still buy from them. Its as simple as that. If the game is rubbish, I wont. Im not stupid enough to brand EPIC as the evil spawn of satan like some round here.

All these people who say boycotted are being ridiculas, and probably have no understanding of the many reasons why Epic chooses to now focus on cross product development (across consoles), or discuss openly the problems with PC Gaming.

Many PC game makers currently have come out with comments about Piracy ruining their business, so its not just Epic. When they talk about console development, the PC loonies are out in force calling them traitors, but what Epic says has some truth to it.

But this is of course.. the internet (full of crackpots and right wing folk who simply see things in the extreme and have trouble finding the middle ground for intelligent discussion).

As for the poster above about UE4 not coming to PC's... there was a news story only a few days ago from their top man about how UE4 will be on PC's as well as consoles. So what if the console gets it first.

8. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

if the console gets it first then it's gonna be dumbed down for the console players. it's like playing halo on PC, you realise this "revolutionary" xbox game has already been bettered years before by half life.

Put it this way lewchenko, a lot of us here grew up on unreal. the botmatches in unreal were my first jump into deathmatch (sadly i wasn't old enough when Doom netplay appeared) It's kinda like being abandoned by your own mother/father because you're not making enough money for them. your natural response is likely to be "screw you too, i'll take my money elsewhere"

9. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I know I completed Unreal 2, but I somehow just don't remember much about it. Ahh...noo.... something's coming back. Something about aliens maybe? Hmm....

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i have to admit i liked unreal 2.... but epic is becoming epic fail...... shame, i liked them.

11. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Perhaps its time to stop worrying about what the large devs/publishers are doing let them move off to the console market and make crappy remakes and sequels for the rest of their existence we on the PC games side will enjoy the fruit of the new devs/publishers who move in to fill there place.

Life is change.

12. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'm surprised. Surprised that he didn't say anything derogatory about PC Gamers (again).

13. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Obviously boycotted. I tried their new game, Gears of War (the PC port obviously) and it was useless. A bland, boring, grey game with horrid camera and horrid controls. If this is all it takes to grab the console kiddies by storm.. No wonder they've abandoned the PC.

Not only are they a bunch of traitors, their new games are bad. I liked UT2004 and Onslaught.

14. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

what are they gonna sell it on though? Its dang expensive to sell on the 360, and they've bashed every other console

If anyone buys a new UT game on PC, they deserve to be kicked

Not forgetting epic have allways liked powerful games, how will that work on a 360 >_>

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

maybe it will work on a 720.....

16. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

PC gamers demand more for their money where as most console users seem happy to buy whatevers thrown at them, just like Halo for PC users was nothing special, no wonder developers are moving to consoles its easy money for them and they don't even have to try.

17. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Sorry Epic, get another new franchise, Unreal is dead, Gears of War needs you to focus on making it less shiny, and UE4 needs to be killed off now or be a full redesign from UE3 with nothing similar to it.

18. n8dude

n8dude What's a Dremel?

Totally true. Halo was not that cool, while all the console gamers were freaking out about it. PC Gamers just have superior intelligence obviously :p

19. haggisathome

haggisathome What's a Dremel?

Boycotted Boycotted Boycotted Boycotted Boycotted Boycotted Boycotted Boycotted Boycotted Boycotted

Boycotted Boycotted Boycotted Boycotted Boycotted Boycotted Boycotted Boycotted Boycotted Boycotted

oh did i say Boycotted ..... :eyebrow:

well said , let them carry on with there consoles .. they can start killing the console market and leave the pc market alone

20. kempez

kempez modding again!

Let's face it: piracy is ridiculous in the PC gaming scene and quite frankly takes the p1ss. I don't blame Epic for making a stand against all the scum who pirate their games. I'm sure I'll be flamed for saying this but I can't stand people who pirate games, movies or music

UT3 was a total shame, bringing nothing new to the series and seriously outshined by CoD 4

Gears was excellent and I'm sure Gears 2 will be too, one of the few games I've completed in recent years and one of the few I still pick up since completing it too.

I like consoles and I do agree that that is where gaming is heading more than on PC, but I still love my PC too so I don't want gaming to die there :(

Tags: Add Tags