1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Matrix Orbital GX Typhoon Display

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 4 May 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

These LCDs are cool things. LCD studio makes it so easy to design aps for them, works perfectly with my G15's LCD.

3. breakspirit

breakspirit What's a Dremel?

If there's a way for this thing to display motherboard/CPU/video card temps along with fan speeds without running speedfan all the time, I'll be all over it. I can't figure out how to get these displays to show that information, though. My motherboard monitors it, why can't I display it?

4. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

Has this got Linux support? One of the most painful things about setting up a mythTV system for my parents was setting up the LCD and IR receiver that came with the case. I remember I needed a CVS version of LCDproc and then that broke the irmon so then I needed a CVS version of that and after that configuring it was a pain in the ass.

5. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

What I notice is that the displays seem very hard to read (judging by the photos), are they better IRL?

6. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

+1 to that question. as if it is better im getting one asap.

7. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

same, reading ease seems little.
    It looks childishly easy to setup information though.

8. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Offer it in linux and I'll think hard about getting one.

9. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

I believe that XP MCE doesnt work. Microsoft locked out the use of third party devices. The matrix orbital website says that.

I have a typoon GX and i love it to be honest. My only quam with it (ands its more a motherboard problem) is that it stays on when my computer is off. If you have an optical mouse and it stays lite when you turn your computer off that means the computer still sends 5 volts. I know there trying to add a firmware update to fix that though.

10. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Hey all, thanks for your comments so far. Let me address a couple:

1) Linux support -
    The display DOES OFFER Linux support. Firmware betas are in process and are offered to anyone who has the display and wants to test it. :) They're not finalized yet, but they are actively in process and available to users. Both Jamie (the firmware dev) and Ray (the software guy) are Linux lovers. :) LCD Studio is not yet fully Linux compatible, but again they're working on it.

So yes, the display WILL work for MythTV users. ;) And the IR. Bit buggy for now, but at least they're committed to it.

2) MCE support - I press the green button and the MCE comes up :) It doesn't display MCE info across it sadly, that was MS's bite. But the remote works just fine in MCE.

3) The display is really quite clear IRL. The pictures are at a bit of an angle and so they're not quite as crisp. You can also adjust contrast in the display's settings to tune it to your taste. ;)

@Breakspirit - unfortunately, as of right now you need to keep speedfan on for that type of information for ANY monitoring program. Motherboard sensors are different across several things and a peripheral hardware provider would/should not be trying to pack all of THAT into a product when good programs like speedfan exist as a very functional bridge. :)

11. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Are you sure there isn't a jumper or a place in BIOS setup where you can turn off the USB ports? I have seen this on a lot of motherboards. Some motherboards seems to have some ports powered, and some ports turned off when the computer is in standby.

12. [WP@]WOLVERINE

[WP@]WOLVERINE What's a Dremel?

This display is absolutely great ive had one for quite some time now i used it in my Pentagram Htpc mod and it will also be used in my upcomming build and its easily the best display ive ever used. Great sharp image and tons of features.

13. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

TY im now sold. Now i just need to wate for it to be in stock.

14. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I don't think it's worth buying this sort of display when a PSone LCD is pretty much the same price.

But to each his own.

15. Squadexodus

Squadexodus I got my cookie. What about you?

Wow, this thing looks amazing. I shied away from LCD screens because of their complexity. I think i might spring for one sometime in the near future.

16. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I still prefer VFDs as they look so much more classy than LCD... I can't come up with ANY real use for these small LCD-screens other than maybe in a HTPC-case. (Yes, I'm using G15 and ATM the software doesn't even seem to be on (= screen is off))

17. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

anyone have an idea what the screen response time is? or mroe importantly the software response time
    I'm interested in making a software based VU meter that can read the different volumes of channels coming off my audio interface. it would be nice to having something liket hat when I'm twiddling with controllers and synths isntead of having to call up my mixer.

However I wouldn't begin to know if this would be capable of grabbing that information from my mixer software

18. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I tend to use Everest Ultimate, and use the Everest plugin for LCDC. It reads the temps and you can set up to display the temps on the unit in whatever way is preferable. At least that's what I do with my MX233 unit.

Hope that helps!

19. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

PSone lcd requires soldering and a technical knowhow along with messing around with samuarize to get it working correctly. Having installed 2 separate PSone screens I can say the results are really quite lovely but sometimes a plug and play solution is better, especially with addons like a fancontroller and watercooling monitoring.

20. knyghtryda

knyghtryda What's a Dremel?

LCDs were past there prime when VFDs could be had for just the about the same price. Even though there was no grayscale as there was with some LCDs, the fact that everything was so much brighter more than made up for it. I have a Matrix Orbital graphic LCD sitting on my desk that I use to test microcontrollers. I originally bought it to install on my desktop, but after picking up a dirt cheap ($3!!!!!) 20x4 VFD, I knew the LCD probably would never get installed.

Tags: Add Tags