1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Fedora 9 leaked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 May 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Time to be a pedantic git, CryptFS isn't an invention by the Fedora Developers.

I for one will stay with my Gentoo system, it's the ultimate balance between ease and configurablility. I stared on a (then) Redhat system, which existed for about a week on my desktop. Wasn't my thing, and I doubt that has changed. However with every new release of these mainstream distros Windows gets surpassed every time. And I really mean surpassed. The OSS community are at a point at which the features and ease their OS offers is much past that of Windows (eg. package management), however the industry (games) doesn't know or realise it... And the Users, as always, resist to changes...

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I didn't say it was. Very little of the stuff that goes into a Linux distribution is actually developed by the people with their name on the splash screen. GNOME, KDE, X11, bash, Firefox, ext3/4, OpenOffice.org, CryptFS - these are all packages developed by third parties that get added to individual distros.

4. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

On another note, does anyone else find it a little funny to hear about Linux distros being 'leaked'? No? Ok, just me then. :D

5. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

KDE4 looks pretty!

I can't wait until Linux becomes a viable alternative for heavy gamers!

6. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Tom, I almost posted something like that, but decided not to. Particularly since I've been using Fedora 9 for nearly 2 months...

I think the only leak that there has been was the fact that the actual release version of F9 appeareed on the mirror server a day or two early.

I have to say, I used to be a Gnome fan (comes from the RH8 experience I had), but KDE 4 is absolutely brilliant. It looks good and the tools that come with it are excellent. KDS 4.1 will be available for Windows too. Guess what is going to be installed on my Windows system when it is out...

Andy

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Fluxbox? :D

8. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

"Firefox 3 wouldn't get a look-in until Fedora 10".

Based on the precious sentance, I think you mean "lock-in"

Personally, I'm happy with Ubuntu, but every new release brings us that much closer to world domination!

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No, I mean "look-in". As in: "Firefox 3 wouldn't be made available in the Fedora repositories until Fedora 10, unless the beta is supplied now with Fedora 9."

10. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

You know, if the used laptop I've just bought hadn't come with XP Pro installed, I really would have gone with this... especially with KDE 4 - that looks great!

But alas, I still can't let go of Windows.

Tags: Add Tags