1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel: the GPU gives no benefit to non-gamers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 May 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

shouldnt that be a CPU and GPU upgrade

3. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Aren't intel in hot water because their gfx doesnt run vista aero properly? Irony!

4. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

No, that's right, it's the situation where hardware newbies who listen to Intel's presentations upgrade their CPU because their 5900 won't play Crysis, and then upgrade the CPU again because it still doesn't work.

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

bring in the p-p-p-p-powerpoints!!!!!

each time intel has a peace of hardware that surpasses its direct opponent, they tend to shake their wood in every direction to show the size of their e-pen...

6. amacieli

amacieli What's a Dremel?

Crysis really wasn't that good of a game. Enough with Crysis already. Making me cry.

7. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Ug I got crysis the other day. I hate it. Prettiest game in the world (at least the explosions with jungle recoiling from them, and GOD RAYS) but such awful gameplay. I don't know how it scored anything above a 6, seriously. You spend 10mins killing guys and then a helicopter starts shooting you which you have to destroy to progress, no rocket launcher is available, you resort to bullets. 5mins later you run out and resort to throwing barrels. You die. Oh what no checkpoint in that time? Or it's the opposite, you're driving along in you're tank and it's checkpointing every 30secs, so just as you're hit by a shell it saves. Who wants to reload with 2% damage left?
    Maybe I'm just playing it wrong, but I'm certainly not new at fps.
    /rant

8. amacieli

@Mentai - you hit it on the head - gameplay. All the Dooms and Quakes had it. The various Half Lifes had it. Even C&C3 with it's less-than-stellar graphics had it in spades. They were fun to play. Crysis is just not fun.

9. amacieli

Back on topic, though - nVidia shouldn't respond to this with more power-pointery. It should just start delivering video encoder plugins for Photoshop etc., and 3D renderers for the AutoCADs etc. Folding@Home support wouldn't be thrown out of bed either. Show us the money. Help us help you.

10. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

god you sound like such a consoletard, go hide in the shadows and suck your thumb for a bit, I got 5% health, 2 bullets 3 demons and a pair of balls the size of moons

11. Panos

Panos Minimodder

Yeah, bring the Intel IGPs to play slideshows. Even AMD/ATI has the 780G which is million years away. Even when you want to use it in 3d design in a small office/company is far superior to Intel or Nvidia IGP solutions.

12. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

no wonder you didn't enjoy playing it if you tried to take down helicopters with barrels you dumbass. you evidently missed the rocket launcher, or missed the helicopter while you still had rockets to shoot. Go and play halo, and save me of you idiocy.

and i don't know why nvidia should get bothered by this news, anyone who knows how to upgrade a CPU should know that it doesn't make f*** all difference in gaming in comparison to upgrading a GPU, so these customers who intel are trying to rope in will probably ignore this

13. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

I think the intended target market these subjective statements were made to impress is the people who don't know how to upgrade a CPU. Your average PC punter doesn't know, doesn't want to know, or doesn't need to know what functions each part of his or her PC performs for the tasks relative to themselves. Chances are, bigger and more impressive numbers will be what grabs their attentions, and as Intel are easily the second biggest name in the home or office PC environment, they're going to be believed.

And yes, Crysis left me very cold as well.

14. DarkMatter83

DarkMatter83 What's a Dremel?

Wooaah! I've been entering this site since the first day and I never posted. But I had to register only to reply to your post, your post is that stupid!!

I dunno, I guess Crysis is for smart people, but I didn't tought it was to that extent...
    First of all, F5 (or F6 can't remember, you can cahnge it anyway) is for quick saving (in almost every game BTW), if you are not smart enough to use it, take your computer and return it. Buy a lame console and enjoy it's games full of checkpoint saving. Anyway if you lose your tank, poor baby, go on foot until you find the next one and kill the tanks with the rocket launchers that enemies drop, just like real men do.

Second, you don't have to kill helis to advance if you don't want to, but there are rocket launchers everywhere, you just have to find where. And it's easy, since they are always close to where the helicopters appear, usually in huts. And there are plenty of them, just in case you miss lots of hits. Indeed that's one of the things I didn't like in the game. It's really open gameplay when you have the answer so close to you, whenever a problem appears? When an enemy helicopter attacks you TAKE COVER and then use cloack or maximum speed to go from cover to cover until you find the weapons, it's really easy.

Don't blame a game because of your incompetence...

15. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I tried to take it down with explosive barrels using the super strength as an act of frustration after Looking for the rockets in the area for 5mins. It's after that 5mins, and many other similar situations that the game becomes unfun.
    As for act of going invisi to look for weapons, taking cover while it recharges, rinse repeat over and over because the area you play in is so large, I also don't find that fun. The fact is by the tank section I was incredibly tired of going on foot, the tanks were the most fun I'd had all game, I didn't want to let it end so quickly by going on foot Again. As for the checkpoint thing, if it's going to be implemented, it should be implemented properly. The reason I don't hit F5 all the time is because occasionally the checkpoints work, so I got used to not using it. I understand what I was supposed to be doing at each point, but it just seemed like the game was making me work for it unnecessarily. Whatever.
    Obviously this gameplay style isn't for me, and my first rant (which was a half joke, the individual points not meant to be taken seriously, strange sense of humour?) was hasty since I had just stopped playing it and was feeling slightly bitter about my $100 lost, but I've had just as many people agree with me as I have had insult me. So I don't think I'm alone in my opinion.
    Also don't be so quick to brand me as a console tard just because I have impatience when it comes to poor level design, years of playing games from valve has obviously spoiled me.

Oh and sorry about the derailment of the thread. In terms of Intel's random propoganda, they're kinda right... I mean, most people have absolutely no need for a gpu, and it just takes talking to someone at a local store to know that you need one to play games. I don't think Intel need to bother announcing it though, it just makes non news news items.

Last edited: 13 May 2008
  16. DarkMatter83

DarkMatter83 What's a Dremel?

On topic,

Oh my God, Intel really is scared if they feel they have to make a powerpoint only to point that out. (sorry for the pun :p)

Anyway they should be scared, since GPGPUs can really take a lot of Intel's market share. And not only that, but most of high-end desktop CPU are bought by gamers. If Nvidia or AMD demostrate that a faster (or an extra) GPU can make games run a lot faster, while providing strong overall performance at the same time, thanks to GPGPUs, Intel will definately not sell any high-end CPU anymore.

EDIT: when I say "run games faster", I mean in other things besides rendering of course.

17. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I'm going to upgrade my soundcard Cheesecake :D

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

clearly saw you coming.

19. loler

loler What's a Dremel?

Intel is just pissed off because their IGP's sucks so much that they even lag running a power point presentation LOL

20. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

I think I agree more with nvidia rather than intel on this. I always recommend to a friend if they're gaming then the graphics and having enough ram are the most crucial components. Processors have surpassed the requirements of nearly all games (except maybe supcom), the standard calculations going on in games isn't a bottleneck like the graphics is.

Also have to agree Crysis has absolutely **** gameplay. It's a graphics demo, nothing more.

Tags: Add Tags