1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News WoW to get graphical overhaul?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 May 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

As long as the game performs the same on low you will be ok. You can out your low end gamers.

3. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

It is potentially a huge risk but if pulled off right it could bring even more players to the ever growing community.
    Personally im all for it, i like the gameplay and the graphics dont bother me so if they feel like changing go for it i say.

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Considering the target audience (Everyone) a major overhaul of the graphics engine could crap on a lot of customers of theirs.

I'd want to see it, but I don't see it making me want to play it. Eh. Could be interesting to see, if anything.

5. naokaji

naokaji whatever

WoW to get a graphical overhaul? will they finally stop the neon green hello kitty with flying spikes madness and make it look like a actual game with a target audience above age 6 - 9?

6. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

They wouldn't be able to update anything other than textures on the environment else people running lower detail would have a different landscape etc to interact with Oo

7. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

simple solution is surely to just have a high end graphics engine and a low end engine? two seperate products and see how they fare?

8. loler

loler What's a Dremel?

Is about time, when you play a game with the same graphics expansion after expansion you get bored because game doesnt look that attractive anymore, it happened to me on FFXI played 3 years then quit, I cameback after last expansion and I saw the same old boring graphics instead atleast for something more attractive, thats just my opinion.

9. Mister_X

Mister_X Chaotic Neutral

I welcome progress and wouldn't mind seeing an overhaul. But to be perfectly honest I don't think theres anything wrong with it as it stands. The cartoony style works for the game.

10. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

The best way to do this would be to have the new graphics as an OPTIONAL patch, both interoperable with each other, and with a downgrade option for people who find they can't run the "patch"

Alternatively have an "Enable next generation content" option in display options like Tomb Raider Legend

The key being interoperability and choice of use!

11. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Although I recall some people having problems with the huge graphical engine update in original EQ with the Luclin expansion, for most it was quite welcome. The character models looked much, much better and were liked by the majority of people I played with at the time. The only problem it really presented was for people with lower-end machines and a raiding environment. Fortunately it wasn't difficult to switch back to the old interface if you were going to raid.

12. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

oh so you mean just maybe WoW will no longer be the kiddie crappy cartoony look.... hmm maybe just maybe I will consider playing it then.

13. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Provided they let players continue using the old graphics, seems possible. If CCP could do it for EVE, I'm sure Blizzard can pull this off.

14. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

The optional EVE Online premium graphics pack was/is well received.

15. MrMonroe

MrMonroe What's a Dremel?

If it's not optional, they will see a huge negative reaction. And really, why bother? You've already got millions of players, it makes literally billions of dollars, why expend money trying to improve the experience for people with high-end machines when those players are obviously already happy?

If it's a ploy to get new players it won't work for long: anyone who jumps on the wagon these days finds out very quickly that there is an almost insurmountable gear hump at the high end of the game. They'd be much better off working on a new game and letting this one just become a refuge of people who have been playing since before BC.

16. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

and them updating the graphics has nothing to do with warhammer online coming out I take it just a coincidence i think not

17. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

if it's not optional, people in large cities will have their FPS go to crap, this computer can't hold 60 fps in shatt, or IF back in the day.

18. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

this sort of thing is best left for WoW2

19. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

A lot of people I know had serious frame rate problems in some of the 40 man instances when the going got hectic. I don't think a graphical update is the best way to go but I'm sure it would be well receieved by a few if it was optional or really scalable.

20. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

Yep. Back when I used to play on my radeon 9600xp I would always get a some VERY seriously slowdown..especially in the suppression room in Blackwing Lair.

In regards to a new graphical 'style' .. I think that's a mistake.. I like their style the way it is... this is purely a subjective topic.. a lot of people will have widely different opinions here, but I think that it's better left to WoW2 as well.

Tags: Add Tags