1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple announces iPhone 3G, available 11th July

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 10 Jun 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. -logical-Chimp

-logical-Chimp What's a Dremel?

Any word on whether it would work on the '3' network, should i manage to get a sim-free one?

3. ImInTheZoneBaby

ImInTheZoneBaby Bring it on sucka!

What the flip?
    £99?

Thats an incredible price.
    Wasn't the last generation iPhone like £200-300?

Wow, definately sounds like a bargain for what you're getting. I might have to pick one up.

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I will be buying one of these, and using the contract provided by O2, but I fear there might be a case of unlocking for the sake of being able to customise the wallpaper/lock screen wallpaper.

If Apple included that option, then it'd be even nicer of them. Seems stupid to lock the main wallpaper, not that that's stopped them so far..

5. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Do I need to uopgrae from my original iPhone? No.

Will I be upgrading? Of Course. :)

Faster downloads, reasonable upgrade price (which could get even better if this turns out to be correct - http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=1750760&postcount=47), GPS (with TomTom application coming soon) - I'll be queueing up again on July 11th.

At least the weather will be better than the last time. :D

6. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I'll be sticking with my Nokia N95 8GB, which rocks ass. Still, at least Apple has finally updated the Jesus phone to bring it into the 21st century. The original, with its lack of 3G, was a bit of a joke wasn't it? And to charge £279 + 18 month contract for a phone with no 3G, no GPS, a 2MP camera with no flash and no video recording functionality was an insult.

Biggest disappointment with yesterday's news - no improvements to the cruddy camera, which is worse than the one on my ancient Sony Ericsson T610. They might as well not have bothered including it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the styling, but the iPhone to me was an overpriced iPod Touch with third rate phone functionality tacked on. Now it's a reasonably priced hybrid iPod Touch / mid-range phone. Still nothing to get excited about. The interface works great for the Touch, but I find it a pig to use the onscreen k/b, so texting/e-mailing with an iPhone would be out of the question for me - give me a good ol' physical keypad with T9 and I'm happy.

7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Hm. I might look at this as a PDA replacement when my Dell X51v dies. The five way D-pad on it has already reached the stage where three directions work 'best out of five'... :(

8. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Minimum 2-year contract with a higher monthly cost than anything comparable

they just moved some of the initial cost onto the contract instead, it doesn't actually work out any cheaper at all :nono:

9. koola

koola Minimodder

Unless someone figures out how to unlock them, then that's a bargin :D

I bet O2 make you sign up in store though to put a stop to this jailbreaking.

10. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

i really want an iphone but untill its pay as you go (prob never happen) i wont be interested
    2MP is a joke

11. fev

fev Industry Fallout

Will be on payg but not to start with. 18 month contracts as usual and you will sign up in store so we charge the right amount for the phone.

12. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

The resolution is fine. It's the terrible sensor, lens, and (lack of) focusing mechanism that's a joke. 2mp is more than enough for the web and I've only one time ever seen someone print off a cell phone pic.

Once the 3G coverage in Boston creeps a little further north, then I'm in. I've already got a GPS and a first-gen iPhone, and will be getting the app store regardless. $200 more to combine the two just doesn't make sense, especially with what sounds like an additional $10 monthly tariff for the 3G data plan (presumably I can't stick with my current 2.5G-only data even though that's all that's available here).

13. rollo

rollo Modder

They mentioned pay as you go for sale at £269 for this version.

£35 a month isn't really a lot of money even if it is for 2 years ( glad im not an original buyer mind you ) ( already pay above this in monthly fees due to been heavy user due to work items)

£135 start up cost ( free if your a heavy user) Which is in the might buy and use market price for most people.

Id rather they got rid of the camera, If i want to take photos ill use a digital camera.

Even 5mp is half of what any decent digital camera will give you in terms of quality. 8gb is borderline space for most people though.

If your parents already pay your phone bill, Id be shocked to see many young peoples bills below £40 a month. My younger sister uses 3000 texts a month ( how can anyone txt so much )

So if they save up the start up cost they can get one

14. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

At £35 a month, plus £99, plus £7 per month insurance... total cost all in : £855 assuming you dont go above your text/call allowance.

Thats a lot of money. But the free unlimited data (which is web and email on the fly) thrown in makes it bearable. I know vodafone charges me a ton per MB just to use the web currently (so I dont).

I hate 18 month contracts though. I signed up to one on Vodafone for my Nokia E65, and it has ages left to run... plus the phone looks dated now.

As tempting as it looks... I just cant seem to be able to justify the cost of the contract.

Im sure the Pay as you go price will be astronomical. My guess is £499

15. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Where is everyone getting this '2 year contract' from? It's a new 18 month contract:

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paymonthly

16. Tim S

Tim S OG

Lewchenko: My bill's about £100-200 a month anyway (depending on where I am in the world) and my baseline tariff is £35 already, so to me it's not much of a problem. I've just got to get out of my existing contract that runs out in October or something. :)

17. fev

fev Industry Fallout

because At&T force a 2 year contract on the stupid americans, if one more person comes into store today asking about iphone i'm shooting them

18. Xir

Xir Modder

...Uk (and the Netherlands) have fine data networks...shame data-by-phone is so expensive in Germany (strange?)

19. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

Ooh, proper GPS. I'm sold :)

20. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

If it's jailbroken and the remote notification still works and I can buy it without signing anything with"O2" written on it and the 3G/HSDPA works with Vodafone and I can get apps from the app store even if it's Jailbroke AND it costs £99... then I will certainly get one. Without all those things, I still have a long contract on my K850i.

Tags: Add Tags