1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Stardock launches Impulse

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Jun 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I don't understand the logic behind this. Surely the whole point of programs like steam are that we only have to have one of them and we (hopefully) can buy and manage all our games through one service.

I'm not against other following steam, it's always a good thing to have some competition but allowing companies to brand up their own versions just seems stupid! I don't want a THQ, EA, T2, (etc etc) versions of all these programs cluttering up my computer. It defeats their purpose.

3. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Aside from the fact that by default, the ALL HAVE TO BE RUNNING, ALL THE TIME.

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Sounds good, I quite liked stardock central, it's good they've improved upon it.

As far as we the consumers go, this is definitely a good thing, so you might have to have another program running in the background, oh noes, what does it give us? A decent competitor for steam, competition means lower prices, for way too long steam have gotten away with high prices for old games, this might change things.

This isn't just another EA downloader, stardock central had a lot of low budget indie games available just like steam (except probably more so), and impulse now has the backing of several big developers. This isn't going to be a platform for releasing their own games only. From what I gather from the companies branded versions, Epic can make an Epic impulse, this is just the regular impulse with an epic skin, all the games available on impulse will be listed, and whenever someone buys a game not produced by Epic, they'll get commission. Kind of like if they put a play-asia box on their web site.

Last edited: 18 Jun 2008
  5. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

i quite like the way they sell apps and other stuff through it as well.
    Still i own all the games i want from there on disk so im not going to bother with it just yet.

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Oooo awesome it has it's own object dock type thing, and from the looks of it, you can put short cuts to whatever applications and games you like.

I always used to use quick launch as my desktop shortcut bit but I might have to switch.

7. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

steampowered? impulsedriven? the idea is nice, but hey, some originality please.

8. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Nice find !
    Another competitor in the digital distribution arena.

9. Island Dog

Island Dog What's a Dremel?

Let me also point out the other phases of release. I think this brings a great opportunity for developers, especially independents.

:)

10. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

Steam does everything i want it too.
    Stardock? Never even heard of it before, it cant be very big.

11. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

So... Is it just another broken model like Steam, or can you actually transfer game ownership (ie sell).

If you can't transfer licences, I'm not interested - nor will many other people. Should we be backed into a corner, such that *all* games are solely available through these restricted channels, then I can see a marked increase in piracy on the horizon.

I don't imagine ebay will be big fans either, for obvious reasons.

Also what does it actually offer? Automatic updates? We know from Steam that this isn't always a blessing, but regardless, it doesn't really offer anything new or original.

12. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

now why on earth would they let you sell games? its not some cheap game stop lol besides most of the games now and days you cant sell due to one time activation type lic. and so on so I dont think that would be a real factor that they would bother to even look into.

So far I think your the only person I have really seen say these kind of things and also I doubt a company like eBay will really care lol they dont just sell games you know ;)

and last of course its not offering anything new its just a competitor lol look at how many things in life that are just a copy of something else, its simply to spur competition and pricing and what not. :thumb:

13. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Clearly, I don't want to be able to sell games through Impulse, but I want to be able to transfer my games elsewhere.

In practice, this means I want to be able to sell games here and on ebay, or perhaps give them to my nephew - things that I, and many others, frequently do.

Name one (apart from Steam titles).

Bioshock, Crysis, Mass Effect (etc) were all slated for their 'crippling' DRM, yet I've bought, played and then sold all of these. In fact I used the proceeds from each to pay for the next one.

I've also sold and given away Steam titles, but in order to do this, I actually install each new game against a different account, and then the account is passed on to the next person.

and also I doubt a company like eBay will really care lol they dont just sell games you know ;) [/quote]

I imagine ebay will be sweating a little. Imagine if this is the thin end of the wedge. Imagine Ford preventing resale of their cars. Imagine Sony preventing resale of their products. Imagine the day when we can't pass on/sell CDs and DVDs.

What do you think would provide better price competition: a second hand games market or two cartels offering identical services for identical sums of money?

Now if they charge £1/$2 for a change of ownership, it would be a reasonable compromise... but from the little I can see, it is Steam2. More of the same.

14. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Okay someone is a bit paranoid. ~_~

15. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Not paranoid, but I understand your point. It was an extreme scenario. Nevertheless it was made to demonstrate a point.

Everybody moans about DRM (and how it serves publishers right when their IP is pirated) and then they go out and buy games from Steam and music from iTunes.

If we really are unhappy about the 'fair use' restrictions through invasive DRM then you should be fighting systems such as Impulse which promote it.

16. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i hope they mix things up a little.... i am getting tired of the current monopoly.....

17. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Unlike other DRM systems, steam/impulse isn't too intrusive, and it's actually quite a handy piece of software. I don't just disagree with DRM completely, there is a need for a company to protect it's IP. But intrusive and damaging DRM I disagree with.

I thought it was still against the EULA on PC games to resell them anyway?

18. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I admit the ability to pass on games would be good. Case in point: I bought Sam and Max ep 1 on steam, didn't really like it. I think my friend might do, so I want to give it to him (as I wont play it again), but I can't. If I could, and he did like it, it would mean more money for steam/the developer. It doesn't keep me up at night though, I generally don't like to pass/sell on games.

19. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I'm fine with any DRM that stops more than one person having 'ownership' of a copy at any given time, but not when it impinges on fair use. In theory, you couldn't backup a CD and use it instead of the real disk, but it was allowed through various fair use laws/clauses. But companies are trying to close down on such privileges and I think it is immoral. As for whether it is illegal to sell games, I can only assume that it is - since ebay (and others) allow it - if there was any doubt, they wouldn't allow it.

If I buy virtually anything else in life, I can give it away or sell it on. They are trying to improve sales by restricting this, but I would suggest they are encouraging piracy.

20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    I see it as a right, not a privilege.

Tags: Add Tags