1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BioShock DRM removed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Jun 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Never noticed it in the first place.

3. CardJoe

Me either, and I installed at least a dozen times across at least four machines using plain old retail code.

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

now i may ponder on buying it....

5. Grinch123456

Grinch123456 What's a Dremel?

The game wouldn't run at all for me (because it didn't like my key when connecting to the internet) so I called the store, made a big fuss about it, and returned it. Now there's GRID. Likewise, the problem with "creating a big sales spike" is that not everyone can afford one game after another. Some of us bought GRID or other games recently in general and can't buy another game for quite some time, because of limited income.

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Hopefully EA will follow suit

7. CardJoe

What, and wait a year?

8. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

It still needs to phone home though, right, as that is the way it's coded onto the discs. So, no, I still won't buy a copy. I can just put up with Activation on an OS, as I use it all the time. For a game, though? A game is optional. I don't need a game.

9. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Played the demo... not a huge fan anyway.

Art Deco makes me sick.

10. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

So does this mean that the SecuROM software was downloaded as part of activation or will it still be installed (but left dormant)? If it's still on the installation DVD that'd probably be enough to keep me away still..

11. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

in fact (from the 2K forums): 'SecuROM has not been removed -- just the activation limits on number of installs and number of computers you can install BioShock on simultaneously.' - so it still installs itself on your system? I think that's still enough to keep me away for the time being...

12. Zut

Zut What's a Dremel?

Good point. I don't know which people can afford to buy every game that comes along, but some of us have to ration ourselves.

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Nice to see the DRM gone. I won't be buying it, though, because the game bored the tits off me (I had to do a lot of work to get those back..).

14. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Maybe the one on Bioshock is annoying but at least SecuROM answers lightning fast to emails. I had a copy protection problem on the TRIAL edition of Spore creature editor, and sent them an email with their diagnosis file, i got replied to within the day. And they solved the problem : i cant now play it ! (process explorer was conflicting with it, I don't know why, but killing procexp.exe did the trick)

15. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

Error code 5024, yeah its something to do with the latest securom, Bioshock and Spore Creature Creator both hate procexp and if you have the audacity to run it at ANY point before playing the game it will demand that you reboot before you play.

16. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Because despite Process Explorer being a legit tool from Microsoft, most of the DRM systems think it's a tool for reverse engineering in an attempt to avoid DRM.

17. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

that seems like a fair business plan to me actually. have security and limited installs for a limited time, a 2/3 year period or something like that. this is when piracy is at it's most rampant, then when sales drop off then you can remove the security. most users will only need to install the game twice or thrice during the lifespan of the game anyhow (though obviously reviewers like bit-etch might do so a few more times)

18. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Bioshock was cracked in under a week, Mass Effect was cracked in under a week, [insert game title] was cracked in under a week...

Securom does not prevent pirates/freeloaders from playing the game, the only ones affected by it are the legit buyers.

Now it got to Alone in the Dark. The infection is spreading...

19. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

Too late, allready pirate(d) it. Baught Mass Effect over weekend, brilliant game!

20. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

Although I may add, Mass Effect has the same DRM on it?

Tags: Add Tags