1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware NEC MultiSync LCD3090WQXi 30" widescreen

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 26 Jun 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

Aahhh, if only i could afford £1,500 for a monitor, but i don't think i'll be using somthing like that with a 2600xt :lol:

3. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

When can I get a cheap and cheerful 30" TN+ Film Display?

4. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

Tim used a 9600GT with both this and another 26" display, and got about 60 FPS on TF2

5. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

That is a very nice monitor. Shame about the price though. Oh well, I have to wait for my 19" to die before I can upgrade to a 22" ws or larger :(.

6. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

Dear Santa, as I've been a very good boy this year.......

7. gmmail1980

gmmail1980 What's a Dremel?

Hi Tim,

this time monitor is from professional ones. And I still thinking that paragraphs' - "Objective Image Quality Analysis" header just do not deserve word - "Objective". Human eyes subjective, hardware not (DeltaE measurments pre after calibration). I missing these things. I just can't go with this review to my boss and take responsibility for my companys' spent money. Maybe my thoughts wasnt right around £ 150 value thing (ViewSonic VX1940w review).. But in this case.......... :)

I'm personally using MultiSync® LCD2090UXi and X-Rites' "Eye One Proof" bundle for DTP color management things at my work, and this review can't argue me to upgrade. I need more detailed things...

cheers :)

8. naokaji

naokaji whatever

just quoting that in hopes that my boss reads it:naughty: *subtle hint, buy me two of them k thx bye*

Monitors of that size sure are tempting, if only they would drop in price a bit faster.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

I hear your point - I did remember your constructive criticisms before and I was expecting your comment. :)

Having said that, I did want to test the self-calibration out and also measure DeltaE, but sadly no calibrator was supplied with the display for review (that's normally what happens with monitors like this, but it strangely didn't happen this time). I'm not sure why, because I'm not the only one that's had this problem either... I'll see if I can borrow one from somewhere for a few days.

10. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Right on the mark of my forum post about monitors :)

Anyway: Is it me not understanding the images in the delay section or did you misinterpret them? I thought the clock was counting up in seconds? In such case the Dell is around .025 faster in all shots but the fourth. ?

11. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Man you guys in the bit offices need to invest in some nice new keyboards :p

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

ITS HUGE.

It seems very deep and 'bulky'.

I wouldn't say no though!

13. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

£1,500 on a monitor and then another £350 on the vid hardware to run it. The spending power of some enthusiasts never fails to amaze me.

nice screen though, certainly wouldn't turn a free one down!

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

Sorry, that's my mistake and you're right - I must've had a massive brain fart when I wrote that portion of the review; that's my only explanation (I had been playing around with the OCZ NIA at the same time... so maybe that was responsible :blush: ). The counter is counting upwards so yes the Dell is actually slightly faster by around two hundredths of a second. However, the delay wasn't noticeable in the several hours (each) of gaming and video watching I did on the screen - the Dell is, like I say, generally considered to be as lag-free as they come.

15. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Video watching is naturally not influenced by the IO lag in the display except perhaps for audio being slightly out of sync for the super-naturally acute ;)

Gaming wise though I'd be a bit more wary as 2/100 of a second is 20ms and most gamers cry if the g2g (gray to gray) is above 10ms.
    The 25ms+ IO lag (on top of the Dells lag) would deter any lag obsessive gamer from the monitor.

To put it by the numbers this is NOT a gaming monitor. But again you wouldn't buy this for gaming unless you had too much money and didn't care about refresh rates.
    I would reckon that the monitors 12-bit LUT (lookup table) might be causing this since color and image correctness is weighted above refresh rates on this monitor.

16. r-gator

r-gator What's a Dremel?

For $2k I'd Rather have the widescreen Wacom Cintiq20WSX. That's just me though as I'm a graphic artist. Sure it might be 10" smaller, but working directly on the screen is worth 10."

Peace

17. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

id love something like that but, cant help think that 30 would be a little overwhelming size wize especially in portrait

18. naokaji

naokaji whatever

well, its certainly not a monitor for those playing ut or quake, but for sc2 it would be perfect (it might even drop in price a bit until thats out:D).

19. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

My 24" is great for Medieval II.. but a 30" would always be welcome.

For a RTT/Strategy game like that, bigger is always better.

20. edjay

edjay Wet and Gwyntog

Last edited: 22 Aug 2008
Tags: Add Tags