1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News XP support extended to 2014

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Jun 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. rjkoneill

rjkoneill What's a Dremel?

im still not keen on rolling out vista on the work networks

i still have trouble finding things in vista at home due to heavy xp use at work

if i was to roll out vista i think company productivity would suffer

3. makkone-

makkone- Gentlemen.

XP still in usage at work and in home, and i see no reason to "upgrade" to vista. If it ain't broke etc... ;)

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Only reason I can see (for me) to switch to Vista is CrossFireX with a pair of 4870X2's when they're released. Still, the chances of me actually going quadfire are so slim it's not really worth worrying about right now.

I quite like Vista as an HTPC OS, but as my day to day OS, I still prefer XP by a long shot.

5. banshee256

banshee256 What's a Dremel?

The only reason I have Vista, is because I couldn't choose XP when I bought my new Dell computer.

Having said that, I'm actually a bit (positively) surprised by Vista. It might be a resource-hog, but when you have the resources, it's no slower than XP. But it's not faster either. The only REAL difference I've experienced, is, that it looks a lot better and the interface is a lot better thought out.

But I see no reason for a company to spend X amount of pounds to upgrade all their computers to Vista. There's just no point.

6. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I'll stick with XP until I'm forced to jump. I've tried Vista on my wife's laptop and I find that I prefer XP for most things but Vista does have some nice touches but it gets so much bad press, how much is doom mongers slagging it for the sake of it and how much is genuine I can't decide.
    I know it did have problems at the start (the iPod issue and EAX to name two) but they are getting there, shame it wasn't right at the launch.

7. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

I find vista to be easier to use now I'm used to it, but it's the same with anything. And the resource usage I think is an intelligent thing. If you have 2gb memory, in xp it will use the bare minimum, in vista it will try and utilise more to load frequently used programs into the memory pre-emptively. Quite clever when you think about it.

But an OS is an OS, it's in some ways like discussing hammers - it's just a tool so you can get / do what you really want.

8. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

> I'll stick with XP until I'm forced to jump.

Ditto.

It's not so much doom-mongers as people looking for reasons it's worthwhile. XP offers me absolutely nothing more than 2000 did, which really only offered stability increases over 98, so I have no idea what they could possibly offer me after three major releases and ten years without a really notable change in anything.

9. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

I use XP on my work machine, and the company has said that it has no intentions to change that for the moment.
    I aggree with banshee256, vista is not bad when you throw a ton of RAM at it, but that should not really be the answer to getting it working well. I am hoping that windows 7 turns out to be a lot better - though that will probably need 8gb of ram to run well.

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I had Vista installed at home 'till Tuesday but then Vista decided that I had less than a week before my copy expired. Vista Business from uni + SP1 Beta = evaluation copy. :eyebrow:
    Back at XP, trying SP3 at the moment, runs fine and fast (it was shocking to see how fast XP is after > 6 months on Vista) and I don't plan to go back to Vista before October at least. Hopefully I'll find the time to set up a dual-boot system once I moved to England.

Anyways, at work we just got our test PCs for Vista (yay for being in the IT department of a 100 people sub company of tesa :D) and we have more issues than you can imagine (well, maybe you can).
    Using infor:COM 6.4 as ERP system... no Vista support. It works somehow but noone knows if it really is 100% stable and if everything works as intended. It's also getting quite stressy as we're just the IT department of the sub and Beiersdorf (the company behind tesa) hired BSS to take care of IT what means every single decision made by us has to be given to tesa and BSS for approval... i.e. "Why the hell can't you just make me local admin on my bloody Vista test PC?!"... waiting for an answer for > 1 week.
    tesa will roll out Vista to all their employees by the end of this year and I'm just happy to not be there anymore as this will be such a mess. ;)

11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i jumped to vista for the tri-sli support, and i must say as an OS it is growing on me.

12. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Vista is supposed to look better than XP.. but I much prefer the old XP appearance.. with the blue and the green start button.

13. E7130

E7130 Shinju

What is with this crap news. Microsoft has always had life cycles of its products. Windows 98 was supported up until 2006 with updates and fixes. Windows 2000 made it all the way to service pack 4. Windows Server 2000 is STILL supported. I use vista and xp at home and work, there is always going to be issues; when XP was released business people and most everyone else threw up there hands too.

14. Major

Major Guest

Will never go to Vista I'm afraid, and hopefully they make a nice, simple, Windows 7 for all of us that want something normal like XP.

15. Xir

Xir Modder

My company runs 2000 and xp ;-)

16. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

We run XP... and there's no plans to shift to Vista any time soon.. I'll be long long long gone by that time. If it even happens.

17. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

I bought a cheap laptop with Vista Premium installed, after 2mths i upgraded to XP and it was like a whole new machine.

Unless you have 2Gb ram, Vista is just too slow,

Win Xp Sp 3 + 1GB ram + Budget laptop = happiness.

18. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

I run Vista Ult on my main gaming machine. Even with 4gb of RAM and a Radeon 3870 it didn't feel snappy enough. I turned off all the effects except for Aero and it sped things up quite a bit. I have an old P3 laptop that I run Ubuntu on for just web and IM.

19. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

i still run XP at home and at work we have some XP, 2000, NT and DOS lol, some of the machines don't need anything above that so why upgrade?

20. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

> something normal like XP

The pity here is that XP - seen as horribly bloated and slow compared to 2k - is now seen as "normal".

Tags: Add Tags