1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia warns of high failure rates

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Jul 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm kinda glad I didn't opt for a new MBP >.>

As much as I dislike the greenskins, at least they're not trying to shuffle it under the rug and ignore it.

3. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

true, they've been upfront, and as reported their shares took a walloping because of it. i do wish they'd let us know what notebooks are being hit though. high end gpus in notebooks are very pricey for the consumer

4. Snak

Snak What's a Dremel?

Got a 8600M GS in my notebook Fujitsu-siemens Xa2528 and it cannot even run CS without the framerate dropping :(

i read people using notebook coolers to keep the fps stable so possibly a heat thing going on here so i guess my notebook is one thats defective :(

5. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Damn, I was looking at a MacBookPro ... i've not ever heard of thermal issues with MBP so I might just risk it - are the problems thermal related or just bad silicon?

6. karsithe

karsithe _

My laptop started powering off the moment I tried to play any games about a week before this announcement was made. Off to return it under warranty today.

7. HatriX

HatriX Æ

"Our old chips suck." - Quick, grab a Tegra!
    I mean, what the hell? They discover these defects right before Tegra-based devices are to come?
    I have already made my mind about buying one, but that's certainly an interesting marketing technique.

Last edited: 7 Jul 2008
  8. liratheal

Bear in mind the MBP fans don't ramp NEARLY often enough, I have to use SMC fan controller to run them at 4k RPM to maintain even 40 degrees. They ramp at a CPU temp of above 60, which is not, excuse the pun, cool.

That said - Mine is quite old now >.>

9. TomD22

TomD22 What's a Dremel?

Hehe just imagine the fury and endless spew of confused forum posts if they send out a patch that locks the fan on all the time.

"OMG I downloaded Nvidia's update and now my laptop is going crazy and the fan is stuck on and it sounds like a jet HOW DO I RFIX IT!!!111"

10. liratheal

Even worse, the 'forum battles' between users when one reverts the patch and fries his GPU, then blames another forum member :D

Those actually might get fun to watch..

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

lol, i can truely imagine that in a Mac forum. OMG, my Mac is going crazy!

well, this is why i think dedicated graphics cards should live and stay in large space (or HTPC) PC, not laptops, laptops are meant to be portable.

12. Colt 45 J

Colt 45 J Aye

I own four shares of Nvidia.. so here's hoping that they bounce back.

13. sleepyhollow

sleepyhollow What's a Dremel?

Interesting does ATI know something Nvidia doesn't. They now have a new upgradable External laptop graphics system
    ati.amd.com/technology/xgp/index.html

14. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

There is a simple fix to this, really:

Make removable, cleanable dust filters for the coolers, and tell the customers that if this isn't cleaned once a monthly they will void their warranty. (Or even better, make a system that prevents the laptop from being turned on before the filter is cleaned.)

I have seen computers melt because of clogged fans. (AMDs thermal shutdown doesn't work very well...) As things are now manufacturers can't really blame the customers, because most models have to be disassembled to be cleaned. The average user won't do this (Or can't, because it will void warranty). On cheaper laptops the disassembly can be very difficult as well.

Problem is that people want compact computers (smaller coolers) with hight performance (more heat). The only solution is more airflow which in the end will clog fans with dust.

/semi rant

15. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Does this not mean the 7-series graphics cards, in which case Macs will not be affected?
    Still, ouch for them. It would really suck having a laptop fan stuck on full.

16. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

I hope my 8400M GS in my XPS isn't effected by this problem. Although it should be under warranty for long enough. And previous generation is the 8-series now, since 9-series would be current gen I guess.

17. Matticus

Matticus ...

I was thinking the same thing (for my pavilion not XPS though)

From the BetaNews link
    We are doomed, DOOMED I say. I might bring HP up on this and see what they can do, there is no way I am having a laptop which has a graphics chip that is almost guaranteed to fail. Though HP have not released any new (graphics) drivers on their site for my laptop since November 07, so if any driver was supposed to keep the fan spinning longer it would have been here by now, this suggests that maybe they are not having a problem.

18. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

8400GS in my XPS M1330 too, I even asked if they could leave it off favour of the onboard (for the sake of cooling, noise and battery) but that was a no-go :/

19. Matticus

Matticus ...

Dell seem to have moved to ATI for its Studio line. I imagine if this turns out to be a real problem for Dell/HP etc we wont see many nvidia mobile GPUs about for a while.

I am going to kick up a fuss with HP though, just so I can get a real idea of how likely my chip is likely to fail. And if there is a real chance I will just get rid of it. I would rather get an intel x3100 and a faster core2duo. This Turion and 8400 makes for burnt legs. I simply cannot have it on bare legs if its on AC power and doing any thing more than just idling.

20. lambenttelos

lambenttelos What's a Dremel?

I have a friend with a mac book pro that has already has his nvidia card fail. The laptop would run but he could only terminal in from another computer and he could see that it no longer detected the nvidia card. It also happed to his roommate twice with his mac book pro. The funny thing on his was that the first time it stopped displaying video he let the computer get hot then rebooted and the graphics worked for awhile but then once it had cooled down again it never worked again. The problem definitely sounds like an issue of thermal expansion either within or between components. I would say, and they both agree, don't let it stop you from getting a mac book, just make sure you get the apple care protection and you will be covered.

Tags: Add Tags