1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Todd Hollendhead defends Doom 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Jul 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Guest-17499

Guest-17499 Guest

I have never made any posts about Doom3, and it was awful.

Lets see if we can find 3 more ppl to disprove his theory

3. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

I guess I'm one of the three then...

Hey Todd -- yes, I thought it was bad. Boring, repetitive and samey. Yes, the graphics and visuals were good, at least those that were visible as most of it was in very dark hallways. Which I guess allowed for the overuse of "swinging overhead lights" :rolleyes:

But graphics don't make the game -- gameplay does and I found it far too repetitive. Sorry :blah:

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The main problem I found with Doom 3 was related to the lighting - it's fair enough that things are dark when the facility has gone to pot, but at the start of the game, before any demons appear, it was pitch black too. Who the hell wants to do research in an unlit facility?

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Doom 3 was awesome, tense and evil, just how i wanted Doom 3.

6. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

Ductape mod made the game infinitely better for me. It just made the experience seem far more plausible...

7. Mister_X

Mister_X Chaotic Neutral

I played through Doom 3 and its add ons recently, must say i enjoyed it.

8. Hg

Hg The game known as life

I’m with Gunsmith here.
    Doom 3 was an awesome game, the first game that truly made me jump and made me nervous of what may be round the next corner.
    To fully enjoy the game you needed a nice size screen dark room and a 5.1 speaker set up. The amount of times I span round quickly in game because I thought something was behind me... or the cries and screams around you made for some tense gameplay

9. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

this

10. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Hollendhead, Hollenshead or Hollenhead?

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

:blush:

12. naokaji

naokaji whatever

the hallways where so dark and samey that I actually managed to get lot in the most linear game ever (doom 3).
    really, the only way to tell you where going the right way was if you ket getting jumped by the same imps all the time, one wrong turn however and you end up running in circles with nothing to shoot anymore... great concept really, atleast if you consider getting lost with nothing to do anymore except uninstalling the game in frustration something great.

13. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

...same here.

14. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Yep, the duct tape mod made it more plausible but the game was essentially Doom with modern graphics and as long as you could accept that then it was fine. I thought it was very atmpspheric in some places and genuinely creepy in others with a fair bit of grosse chucked in as well.
    I was happy enough to play it and hell, I might just dig it out again and see how it looks on my widescreen monitor.

15. diasam

diasam What's a Dremel?

I didn't like how you had to hunt for PDAs and keep switching back and forth between flashlight and your weapon. It doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy Doom 3, it's just that it was not as fun as the classic ones. I still liked it though.

16. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Loved the first Doom.. but Doom 3 never really appealed to me... It just looked too dark... and only being able to hold a torch or weapon at once (not together) is just absurd.

17. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

doom3 sucked, i would have prefered a direct copy of the origanals, graphics? well i suppose they were good when was able to see anything. Why evolve the gameplay when that was already sweet, give me another quake, no story no thinking just run and gun!!!!!! p.s. quake 4 sucked to, shame on you ID

18. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

It was dire for the fact it tried to be scary yet after the 4th time you jumped you then knew where and when things would happen.

I didnt want a story, I didnt want to fight 2 or 3 imps at the time in a small dark room. I wanted the original but better small enclosed areas that disorientated followed by expansive outside areas where you knew some heavy shizzle was going to go down.

Bioshock on mars with imps would of done me tbh, without any of the story....just really big guns and shed loads of monsters. Think a scary serious sam on crack

19. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Doom 3 was like being stuck in Groundhog day, without the comedy.

20. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Got bored of trying to find x door key for x door ... scratch that .. got bored trying to find ANYTHING without a torch- d3 sucked.

Tags: Add Tags