1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News ZoneAlarm fix for DNS death released

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Jul 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. tribalman

tribalman What's a Dremel?

ah, thank you for the information. i have been having this trouble and was just going to try testing the update on a separate computer before i updated the main system again. i figured there was an issue with the update and a firewall somewhere.

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Hm. I've had problems with my net connection whenever I've installed SP3, but I don't use ZoneAlarm...:confused:

4. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

i found this out yesterday when my net suddenly stopped working :|. it was fairly obvious what the problem was so i went and downloaded comodo instead.

5. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

I'd lay the blame fairly at checkpoint as this patch as been planned for AGES. Mind you ZoneAlarm is one of the most rubbish firewalls out there and I wouldn't trust it on any system I use ever having had loads of issues with it before. Seriously the Windows firewall is better than that rubbish.

6. Orlix

Orlix What's a Dremel?

I have been having issues with my wife's computer for a while now. The latest was on tuesday, but I just lowered the security to med and was running again. I did the update yesterday on mine and had the same problem, of courseI will download the patch for both today. I still think I need to reinstall Windows on my wifes computer... really not looking forward to that.

Darkedge,
    Checkpoint has a compatibility issue that does not make it rubbish. On what issues do you base your statement? I am curious as I changed to ZoneAlarm after actually paying for Norton, that is a really annoying piece of software. It took away all the control from me and decided what was best for me, for example what emails were safe regardless of what I told it. I ended uninstallig it.

7. dom_

dom_ --->

Ah, the problem here is that nortons firewall is even worse than zonealarm. Which i did not think was possible.

8. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

the security update was also known as KB951748 and is listed that way in your add/remove programs list. as far
    as I'm concerned zonealarm is the best firewall for the money windows firewall is useless in comparisan and zone
    alarm was on top of the problem. I downloaded the update to fix my firewall then installed KB951748 and everything worked fine.

9. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

We've had no end of issues with this where I work.
    I've just been telling everyone to do what the zone alarm site says which is stick the security in ZA to medium. Problem solved

10. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

moving the za to medium is a workaround not a fix! and it reduces your internet protection. download the update
    from za and install it over your present za program no clean install required

11. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

wunder why ZA was not working, this customer was behind an router so just removed ZA problem soved

12. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Thanks for the article... a buddy of mine at work was having this problem with both he and his wife's computers. I had just told him earlier today that I hadn't seen anything on Bit-tech about it, and sure enough, I get home and see the article. You guys rock as always!

13. Colt 45 J

Colt 45 J Aye

So this is why my little brother was whining about his internet going out and everybody else could get on it... I had just turned down the security to see if it worked and it did. Guess I will have to download this patch in the near future and then I can turn the firewall back to high.. You have no idea how much hassle this has caused me...

14. boixter

boixter What's a Dremel?

I experienced the same problem and thought there was a problem with my wireless. .Kept restarting the router till i realized that my other computer could log on to the net. Tried disabling zonealarm and surprisingly it worked! So i uninstalled zonealarm and change to comodo instead. Discovered that comodo is quite a gem actually!

15. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

We've had about 300 people call in regarding this Zone Alarm issue since Tuesday. We will disable it, and if it works we reboot the PC so its back on and tell them to call Zone Labs for a fix.

Glad Zone Labs has a fix out already.

16. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

I spent hours trying to figure out my problem last night. After realizing the other three comps on the router worked fine, I thought my network stack had been corrupted and tried every diagnostic program I had. I could ping the router, just couldn't access the net at all. So frustrating! Finally, after many things I got it working, but I didn't realize what it was that fixed the problem (I had disabled ZA in the process of trying things but didn't realize that fixed it). So this morning after another reboot, it wouldn't work again! *Pulls out hair*
    Finally, I did a search on another comp and found the cause and dl'd the latest ZA.

Thing is, in all my years with XP, or any windows, I've been lucky and never had a patch or update or service pack give me any problem whatsoever; so that was not something that came to mind when trying to diagnose the problem, especially since I had completely forgotten about installing that little patch a couple days ago.

17. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Agreed. I was pulling out my hair trying to find out what happened to my parent's computer. Never before have I been able to ping a website (bit-tech, incidentially :clap:) but not be able to load the site in Firefox. :wallbash:

Mostly figured someone had mucked about with the settings of Windows again, but I didn't think about ZA. Makes me glad I couldn't get it to work with XP 64. :D

18. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

Its not only affecting zonealarm, I run no firewall apart from the windows one and the one built into my router, let windows install the update, no internet on windows but the linux box still works fine, uninstall the update the internet is back. Now for the strange bit, the update doesn't break the internet on the other windows pc in the house which runs sygate personal firewall (/me curses symantec for buying them out and killing sygate)

Tags: Add Tags