1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus Triton 85

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 26 Jul 2008.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/07/26/asus-triton-85/1

Everyone wants the same things from a new heatsink; silent operation and high thermal performance, but the combination of both is notoriously hard to strike. We take a look at the Asus Triton 85, which claims to run at just 16 dBa, and find out if it can deliver the goods.

:waah:

2. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Looks like the Thermalright 120 eXtreme still has the best balence (depends what fan you buy obviously), it's been top of the pack for quite some time now!

3. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

isnt that worse than the intel stock cooler? and thats free lol

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

we'll be including a stock intel HSF in our results tables soon, so you'll be able to tell.

5. Matticus

Matticus ...

So its a complete waste of money. Shame, I have really started to like the look and idea of top down coolers for some reason and it looks like only Noctua make one that is worth going for.

Also you wrote Akasa 465 in the conclusion and the graphs, don't you mean 965?

6. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't buy this heat sink particularly, but it would be nice to have it thrown in with the Asus motherboards for those who aren't overclocking and such.

7. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

They still fail miserably in making coolers. Stop it already, it's like license games, they quite silmply always suck.

8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

IMHO top-down coolers are a good thing! Just a shame there aren't so many good ones out there. Sure, tower coolers have better cooling ability, but they don't cool the PWM area of the motherboard, which is exactly where top-down coolers trump tower coolers.

OK, so this cooler might not be the best thing since sliced bread, but I cannot question ASUS' design decision on that point. They might want to sell it (a lot) cheaper though.

Incidentally, doesn't the Triton 85 look a lot like the Triton 75 (which is sold fanless)?

9. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

If you include stock Intel coolers, maybe use a few different ones or at the very least mention from which CPU line the stock is from, lots of changes in the last few CPUs, such as the 45nm stock coolers.

10. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

That's a high ambient temperature.

11. salesman

salesman Minimodder

Sweet because that's what i use so it'll will give me a better perspective when i decide if I want to get an aftermarket cooler.

12. salesman

salesman Minimodder

"it'll will" say it ten times fast an a Thermalright 120 eXtreme it'll will pop out your butt.

13. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

It's been hot in the office this week.

14. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Air-con buggered or has it been one of those scorchers this week?
    That's a miserably flawed argument. Apply the same logic to any other industry (AMD, ATi, or Ford Motors) and you'll soon realize the repercussions consumers incur in a weighted market.

15. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Air con? We're in th UK - Air conditioning consists of opening a window or desk fan if you're lucky!

16. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Opening a window? So they're not nailed shut?

17. roadrun777

roadrun777 What's a Dremel?

Again, bit-tech, no noise rating? no db rating? no audio files of fan noise at different distances?
    If all people cared about was cooling ability, then this type of review would be great, but as you pointed out, it's all about how silent it is and how well it performs.

18. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Weight (with fan): 520g
    Size (with fan): 120mm(W) x 137mm(D) x 123mm(H)
    Fan Size: 120mm
    Fan Speed: 1400RPM
    Noise Level: 16 dBa
    Warranty: Two year standard warranty

The fact of the matter is that noise rating hardware is enormously difficult, and completely subjective dependant on situation. All we can do is compare a silent fan to a silent fan, as we lack the high end setup to reliably test the fan. We'd need a sound insulated sound room, which just isn't on the cards.

19. itsasony

itsasony What's a Dremel?

Then there's the whole <b>Socket F</b> thing. Everywhere around the web I shopped this cooler it was advertised to support Socket F. We can tell you it doesn't support the bolt through Socket F with the supplied clips. When I contacted the manufacturer about getting clips that would make their cooler work with socket f, I was told to contact the reseller, that the manufacturer doesn't offer parts. This doesn't tickle. SO if you buy one of these for socket F, you might get F'd and it wont be cool.

Tags: Add Tags