1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Acer Aspire One

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 4 Aug 2008.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/08/04/acer-aspire-one/1

The Acer Aspire One is small, lightweight and gloriously linuxy - but can it make that extra jump from potential to realised greatness? It looks like it might, but the only way to be sure is to read our review of this latest and greatest 8.9 inch sub-notebook...

:naughty:

2. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Heh, Joe, I almost never look at the authors of Bit's articles, but I can always tell when you write an article...

3. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

i find most laptops are lucky if thay get to 1hr 30 mins of bat time (norm use)

4. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

Thanks to the register, i like to use the term "laptots". Baby laptops :D

And since reading about the frankly amazing battery life of the atom flavoured EEE, 2 and a bit hours sounds pathetic.

5. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

what's the atom eee get? and is it a real-world number or a "claimed" battery life?

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

The Register says the Eee 901 can run for 4.5hours with wifi on and screen at 100% brightness. But then it comes with a 6600mAH battery.

7. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I'm quite temped to get one of these for work, its a pain in the ass using the horribly shlow desktop at work and then draggging all the files onto a USB1 pen stick to bring them home each night....but im sure as hell not gunna commute with a big bluky laptop....this could be the asnwer.

So for an under £300 subnotebook - is this king?

As tjis is open office on a linux based system is it a complete strech to imagine I'll be able to open MS office documents on it?

Last edited: 4 Aug 2008
  8. kennethsross

kennethsross What's a Dremel?

"Depending on what you're trying to do with the Aspire One at half-past three in the morning in a dirty LA motel that smells of old dishwater and rot, that can be an issue."

Sure sounds like the motel I stayed in on Santa Monica Beach (Would name it, but scared of their lawyers :D )

9. Mo_

Mo_ Did this world come by chance?

Nice review - im for getting one of these babys, but i think i will wait for the 6 cell battery version!

10. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

£330 - £370 for the MSI WInd? I bought the 4211 for £279.99 for PC world, not sure where you're paying £370 for it

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Based on Google Shopping searches and surveying the average prices. Fairer than looking at specific retailers.

As for is this the king? Maybe. I have an Eee 701 and I'm very much considering selling that to pay for one of these.

12. Mo_

Mo_ Did this world come by chance?

4211 is ugly, but still does the same job as the nicely finished MSI wind..

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

4211? dont think i have seen that...

this looks so tempting but with two laptops and a computer on my desk and soon to be a Cybook Gen 3, can i really justifiy this? lol!

14. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

I am waiting for my paycheck to come and then I am buying one. Costs 317€ in Finland and IMO perfect for Uni to type up notes. You can even stick in a Ipod HDD as the SSD in the One uses a ZIF connector. If you guys want more info check www.aspireoneuser.com. the forum is full with mods and hacks.

15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

awesome, really tempted now!

16. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Any idea if there's a 6 or 9-cell battery available?

17. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Picked up one on saturday from pcworld (I couldn't be bothered to wait for play to deliver). About the only things that I'd add to Joe's review would be:
    No Bluetooth - bit annoying this.
    Battery life is quite rubbish, but the 6 cell battery will be available separately soon.
    Track pad - I got used to this pretty quick
    Upgradeability - you do need to almost completely disassemble the One just to put more RAM in, but it's not to bad. Inside there is quite a lot of space, apparently more than the EEE, and I'll be trying to solder in a bluetooth adapter fairly soon.
    All in al lI'm pretty happy with mine, I've managed to install ubuntu, which works quite smoothly (Linpus was more stripped down), and if you need any more information the forums at aspireoneuser.com are great (especially the instructions for installing ubuntu).

18. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

Couldn't agree more, Joe. The One is definitely the nicest looking and feeling netbook I've used and the blue finish is gorgeous. Such a shame about the batttery - needs a minimum of six cell.

19. Xir

Xir Modder

If I look for the Aspire one, I get several variants:
    A110L, A150L and A150X

So L and X are Linux and XP...but which one did you test?

20. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

A110L, I believe.

Tags: Add Tags