1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News John Carmack: Steve Jobs hates games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Aug 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Well yeah, Macs have never really been marketed as gaming machines anyway! If you think about it the only Mac with an actual graphics solution worth talking about is the Mac Pro workstation. So why do you guys constantly add Mac support, then? Why don't you do Linux versions of your games instead?

3. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

MacBook Pro's and iMacs are quite capable of playing games.

4. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

... And games hate Steve Jobs. :D

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Only in Soviet Russia

6. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

I think you'll find they do, it just doesn't make much business sense to package them up and sell them in the shops; I bet very few people would ever hand over money for it.

At the minute, you download the Linux installer, copy the .pak files across to /usr/games/id/whatever/textures etc. and away you go :)

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

PHOTOSHOP IS A GAME!

8. Sathy

Sathy What's a Dremel?

But is it entertaining?

9. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

i take it he has something to sell, he hasnt shut up about apple this last month.. he stopped being revolutionary after quake

10. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

You WISH!

11. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

zooming in and out on googlemaps on the iphone's multi-touch screen is gaming!

12. Colt 45 J

Colt 45 J Aye

Pfff, what are you guys talking about? I mean STARCRAFT runs on a mac.... Sooooo cutting edge, you couldn't get better anywhere if you tried.

13. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

For compatabuility and gaming Windows rules (Windows steal a lot of ideas but atleast they execute them well).

14. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

lol I loved watching those parody mac commercials, you know the ones that use to be hi I use to be a pc user and now Im a mac user, well in the one I saw it was a person that went from pc to mac but he was a gamer and it was so funny he was like but mac does have games like umm chess ya and so on...

ahhh here it is

Last edited by a moderator: 5 Aug 2008
  15. CrixD

CrixD Teh LoLlandic fool :o

I cannot agree there.
    Carmack has done plenty of important stuff since Quake.
    I mean. Doom 3 did set a whole new graphical standard for games [It were not the only game, I know. HL2 was also in it].
    He invented the Mega Texture in Quake Wars, which I personally believe will be used a lot in the future.
    And now. Just look at Rage, I think it speaks for itself currently.

And lastly. In all the interviews I read about and with Carmack, then he has always been completely honest, and never shy to share his thoughts. :/

Call me a Carmack fanboy now :p

16. benjamyn

benjamyn What's a Dremel?

So John Carmack says Steve Jobs isn't a gamer and Bit-tech spins it and puts it in the headlines as "John carmack said Steve Jobs hates games!!!!"

Read this yesterday on Kotaku with a less misleading title :)

that aside John Carmack does seem to be quite popular at the moment, always seeing him mentioned in articles.
    It's good that he voices his opinion and isn't afraid to speak his mind like the situation over Rage on Xbox 360/PS3

Last edited: 6 Aug 2008
  17. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

Assuming you meant "Steve Jobs isn't a gamer", this was the first thought that came to my mind too. I really like bit-tech; I just wish there was less of this misleading headlines business.

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Steve Jobs....... if it wasn't for his marketing strategy, the way Apple operates will NEVER survive.

iPhone ringtone needs to be bought? everything iPhone related is through iTune, meaning you can't sync between 2 computers? Mac's spec is always lower than other computers?

but you got to admit, their marketing works, and if Steve Jobs had entered the gaming market, people (who have enough money) would probably all switch to Macs within 5 MacWorld keynotes

19. kempez

kempez modding again!

I hate games....but then I have been playing MGS4 for the last few days so it's understandable :)

I think perhaps the title is a little misleading but I do love the way Carmack just says what he thinks :D

@wuyanxu: You can make iPhone ringtones (Google it) and you can synch two PC's if they both have iTunes and your iTunes account

Tags: Add Tags