1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Pressure groups campaign against Sega's MadWorld

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Aug 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

give the game an 18 rating, i cant wait for this game.... i've completed zelda, mario galaxy, mario kart, boom blox.... now i want this...

finally an original core gamer title which gamers and the industry have been crying out for!! :)

3. sinkhead

sinkhead Pleh

Violence for the sake of violence s never something I agree with, but this game seems almost comic-book-like in its presentation so it's not too bad. I don't have a problem with this being released.

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

As said above, give the game an 18 rating and release it. I understand the whole 'interactive' element might be a concern (particularly on the Wii) but I honestly don't see how gory games are any different to gory/ultra-violent movies, and yet they get OK'd all the time.

5. geo139

geo139 What's a Dremel?

does the home DVD player have a bad image because it can play ultra gory 18s as well as disney films?

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Are they ****ing kidding?

These clowns won't be happy until we're all watching The Little Mermaid (I'd be less bothered by this if Ariel wasn't a cartoon) until the god-damn end of time. Gtfo my country :/

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Slightly different issue here as Nintendo has, unlike DVD makers, traditionally fought very hard to keep games like this off of it's platforms - both through censoring and refusing licenses.

8. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

itll be over 18s what the hell do they want. Its the exact same as films. why stop adults buying games they want just because some parents dont filter the games their kids buy.
    Anyway i dont beleive in anyway that gorey/violent games affect children in anyway, if they are mature enough to understand their actions have conciquences then violent games wont affect them. i know i played plenty of over 18 games way way before i was 18 and i havent killed anyone

9. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

10. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

For once, i don't wholly disagree with the "pressure groups". Lets face it the wii has been aimed (both by marketing and by the titles released so far) to be the "family friendly console". I don't see that stopping it from getting a rating is going to be possible as that would be discriminating against the specific platform as it would go through fine on an xbox360/ps3.
    I don't necessarily agree with what they are trying to achieve, but i can understand the concern here given the amount of Wii's out there that have probably been bought for younger kids to play harmless games like mariokart. As usual of course it has to be left to the parents to take some responsibility for what they buy their kids.

11. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

not this s**t again.
    /facepalm

12. reaper1984

reaper1984 What's a Dremel?

Yawn....

When will these people learn?

I thought living in a democracy meant we had the freedom to choose for ourselves what we watch or play. It seems not, there are still groups who think they know best and have the 'right' to tell us all what we should or shouldn't do in our lives.

It's quite depressing really. Anyway, back to GTA4 and killing some prostitutes... which of course must mean I'm a psycho in real life...

13. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Being in a democracy means we have to live by the majority rule. If you aren't par of that majority then you can bugger off it seems. Remember: "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried", its true.

14. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

I don't understand how the image of the Nintendo Wii is any concern of MediaWatch UK. It's not as if the "family fun" image of the Wii is one of the core pillars of our culture and society, which must be kept sanctified! It's entirely the concern of Nintendo what image they want to portray.

What else might they complain about? If Coke started marketing their drink at older people, would they complain that it is spoiling the "youth orientated image" of Coke?

Their argument makes no sense, and totally over-reaches itself.

15. Romirez

Romirez What's a Dremel?

Sounds quite interesting, Sin City's style was great. Don't spose Jessica Alba's anywhere in it?

With the Wii Nintendo has hit a much wider audience than their previous few consoles, presumably meaning that the average age is older. Makes sense to release games for the new, older players, as well as the people who've grown up with nintendo's and would like something a bit darker without having to shell out another £300 on a different console.
    And Turok Rage Wars, as I recall, wasn't exactly full of frolicking cherubs and shrubberies.

If a parent isn't capable of deciding whether or not to give their kid something with a nice red '18' sign on the side, then pressure groups really aren't going to help.

16. Romirez

Romirez What's a Dremel?

double post ><

17. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Except that, by their very nature, pressure groups tend to be the minority. But they scaremonger enough and wine and dine politicians to get their way.

The majority, 99% of the time, is silent. The majority don't vote. But, unfortunately, this is another thing to remember:

"Silence gives consent."

18. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

ow hell not!!! i want this game!!! nintendo needs these kinds of games if they want to capture a broader public and be considered something more than a party console!!!!

19. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

People that think that the wii is only a console for families need to take there blinkers off. and let the wii have the greater variety of games :sigh:

20. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

This guy is the epitome of moronism.

Tags: Add Tags