1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Carmack on multi-threading in id Tech 5

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 22 Aug 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Cinnander

Cinnander What's a Dremel?

Looks pretty sweet - the technology seems very cool too, but I have a feeling that "Minimum Requirements" are going to start listing a number of cores. Dual core is fine and dandy, but from the sound of it Rage is going to want 4 to really feel at home. Graphics and Physics aside, there's still an awful lot to be done by the other threads.

3. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Given that the game is designed to run on a console with three in-order dual-issue SMT cores at 3.2GHz (yes that's about the equivalent of three Intel Atoms at 3.2GHz, instruction set being different and all it's not an entirely valid comparison, but still) I doubt it'll need more than a C2D to run just fine. Port be damned, PCs are so far ahead of the toys now that any decent dualcore machine can run them all without a hitch.

4. roshan

roshan What's a Dremel?

Doom 3 ,Started well.finishes bad.Id tech 4 was dark. You can just tell the name of the engine just by looking at the monitor.when i played Prey i immidiately recognizied it was doom 3 engine.But engine was a mega hit for the gaming world at that time.
    I hope id tech 5 would live up to the standards.Mega textures,multi theading ,but what we want is extreamly good game play with better graphics. kind of a unreal engine 3 like stuff from id,to use the engine for dozen other games.

5. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Brought?

And hey, developers starting to get a good handle on how to use multi-core is cool. :)

6. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

no, Doom3 was dark
    ET: Quake Wars was ID tech4, its certainly not dark

Tags: Add Tags