1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Diebold admits flaw in voting machine for a decade

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 Aug 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Would I trust a company that had a major error with far-reaching consequences and either lied about it for ten years, or was so blinkered by arrogance that they failed to even notice .. erm .. why no I don't think I would :eeek:

3. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

more complexity on voting machines = more things to go wrong.
    paper = cheesecake

4. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Ouch. Maybe explains how a shaved chimp managed to win their presidential election not once, but twice?!

5. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Shaved chimp? I thought that was the average American... :p

6. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

And guess who the real owners of that company are.. I bet the rockafella's of the world and other new world order scum...

7. chicorasia

chicorasia What's a Dremel?

Brazil has been using electronic voting machines for some ten years now. As far as I remember, they are made by Procomp.

These are incredilby simple devices - no color display, no touch screen, no punch cards. People vote by punching in their candidate's number - two digits for president, governor or mayor, 3 digits for senator, 4 and 5 digits for other representatives.

Before the voting begins, a report called ZERESIMA is printed out, to verify that there are no votes already in the ballot's memory. Voters arrive, are identified and their ID number is punched into a remote terminal, which unlocks the ballot. After all the votes are cast (up to 5), the ballot locks itfself, waiting for the next voter. At the end of election day, a code is typed into the remote terminal, several reports are generated (including a vote count, which must match the number of voters who have signed the voter list), all the data is verified and recorded into a floppy (yes, floppy) disk and uploaded via the internet to a central server. Results are cast in less than 24 hours.

Bear in mind that voting in Brazil is mandatory, and we have over 100 million voters.

If you want to get a feel for Brazilian ballots, go to:
    http://www.tse.gov.br/eleicoes/urna_eletronica/simulacao_votacao/UrnaApplet2.htm

(I have worked on several elections already)

8. MrMonroe

MrMonroe What's a Dremel?

I can always count on bit-tech for condescending remarks about people in my country. Thanks guys.

Oh, BTW, << an American who knows how ridiculous our electoral system is and has been saying so for years. Snide remarks from outsiders helps people like GWB. Please try to remember that if you don't like the guy.

9. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

everyone knew there where errors in those machines
    always stick to a hard copy when doing something important

10. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

erm so Robin williams movie was right?

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

No, though we're headed that way. But then again, so is most of the world.

Trolling aside, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're trying to overextend their perceived incompetence to cover up something more sinister. As it's closed source, we have no way of knowing what is or isn't accurate; all we know is that they've long since proven that we can't trust them.

12. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

How do you F-up something as simple as a program that counts votes entered? What did they do, have circus monkeys do the programming? Conspiracy theories shall abound on this one.

Fox Mulder: "Trust no(t) one" politician.

Tags: Add Tags