1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Jeff Han gets all Minority Report on us at Nvision

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 26 Aug 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

This kind of thing is amazing tbh, and it'll definately move into the open once the tech is right. Imagine how much easier it'd be to CAD if you could just use your hands. Hell, you could even have different physical tools to do different jobs, so you could have a pencil tool, crop tool, extrude tool etc all in the real world.

3. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

That is incredible. I would hate to think of the processing power and the GPU power required to handle all the things shown on the video. But still. if that makes main stream.... wow.

I need to start investing...

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I want that for RTS games.

I really, really, do. I can see it being really fantastic for it.

5. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

*drool*

that is all.

6. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

Amazing video-- but didn't the MS-Surface demo do the same thing almost a year ago?
    Doesn't make this any less amazing but still.
    Oh well, more then one person working on this tech can't hurt.

7. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Cool but it looks like there's far too much energy involved in using it :p Spend 8 hours a day doing that and its like a workout.

8. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

sweet, now we nerds will get buff! BEEFCAKE! BEEFCAKE :D

but tbh, i don't see any major advancement from MS-Surface either... he's even doing the same things.

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I read some where that Tom Cruse had to take a break after shooting scenes using the thing in minority report. I think for long term use they would become very tiring.

10. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Think I seen this on TED too, looks cool

11. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Awesome.

It probably would get tiring, primarily because we'd be entirely unused to it, but the excercise would probably do us wonders as a species (at least the portion that works in offices anyhow)

12. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Think it being on a tabletop rather than on a wall.

Incredible tech though.

13. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEax1mJhJQ0 here's a video of a similar technology being used to play warcraft 3. It's interesting, I don't know why every touch screen tech demo always has people moving and manipulating pictures, it really seems like a chaotic way to try to sort, view, arrange etc pictures. I could almost see it being useful say on arranging a magazine page layout but as a heavy photoshop user at one point there really would not be a benefit of me dragging pictures around and such spinning them and resizing them.

I think multitouch is an interesting technology it will be interesting to see where it goes.

14. MonkeyNutZ

MonkeyNutZ Crysis Fiend

15. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

That would be great, I wonder if Starcraft 2 will incorporate this into it lol.

16. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

I think this might actually taste better than sliced bread.

Yes, it would require more activity, but give it a week or so, and your muscles would get used to it; and you will start to burn more calories. Almost every customer, and technicians alike, I visit that spend their workday in front of computer could use a few more burned calories.

Technicaly, I can see this just eating up ram like there's no tomorrow. Processor as well. I guess it's good news that intel is planning massive multi-cpu architecture.
    Next up, make that a thin physical footprint, and/or something portable, get ISP's to open up their bandwidth, then say good bye to computing as we know it today.

17. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Jeff was on it first - I saw his tech demo videos late 2005/early 2006.
    My reaction then (as I hadn't seen ANYTHING similar apart from minority report) was definitely a WOWOMGZ!

18. knyghtryda

knyghtryda What's a Dremel?

This would be the ultimate meeting tool. The current displays are too low resolution to be used by the person at that short of distance, but for a crowd of people watching, this would be a great way to brainstorm, plan, etc if someone could just get up and mess with stuff on the screen without needing to know anything more than to put a finger to the board and drag. Its as intuitive as a whiteboard but a million times more powerful.

19. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

=P

I wish End War would. Ever since that video of the American commander screwing up his battle tactics using one (In the game), I've wanted to do a better job using the same tech >.>

20. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

yeah i can definatly see this being used in design, as im sure the iron man suit was made in a similar fashion

Tags: Add Tags