1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony: "The Wii isn't hurting us"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Sep 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Paolo

Paolo What's a Dremel?

What Sony said: "The Wii isn't hurting us"

What Sony meant: "The Wii isn't hurting us, we do that ourselves by making a loss on every console we sell!"

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

In recent generations it's only been the Nintendo stuff that sells for as much as/more than it costs to make. Pretty much everyone else makes a loss on the hardware AFAIK.

4. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Most people don't make the choice between an PS3 or Wii, they're targeted to different groups. Someone with younger children would likely buy a Wii, but with a PS3, I would be scared to let children play with it. They don't hurt each other, much. The Wii doesn't really have a competitor. The PS3 competes with the Xbox 360 alone.

5. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Paraphrasing alien versus predator:
    "Whoever lose, we win"

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

He is probably right they target different markests which don't directly compete, in fact the only person i know with a ps3 also has a wii.

7. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Not by straight HW sales, but if you start weigh in BR sales/profits, since the PS3 single-handily won the format war, I would bet you that they could make back their losses. BR is what held them back in the first place from debuting it when 360 came out, right?

I also agree that the Wii is not a competitor. It offers completely different games for a different audience. I thought the whole debate was which console would the Wii compliment the most back when it released.....funny how things change....

8. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Actually, it was the movie studios deserting HD-DVD that won the format war, not the PS3. Not even close to being anything to do with the PS3.
    The Wii may have panned out to have a different audience, but that's not the way it was touted when it first came out. I know of quite a few gamers (myself included) who got a Wii when it first came out, but have since sold them because there aren't the "proper" games available, only endless party games. Nintendo have alienated a large part of their gamer following by going down this path - but I'm sure that Sony or Microsoft aren't complaining!

9. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Well, that too, but w/o the PS3, BR sales would have been a whole lot less. Either way, all I'm saying is that the PS3 isn't just a game's-only machine anymore; it's a BR player, too, and I feel a % of BR profits (how much idk) should be accounted for when they talk about overall PS3 profits; but that's my opinion.
    I just remember people wondering which console the Wii would compliment most (which now isn't the case), and yes Nintendo has lost a lot of their core gamers, but you gotta admit it sure paid off.... What about the news about them not forgetting about the "core" gamer? Or is core not equal to 'devoted Nintendo fan from the beginning'?

Tags: Add Tags