1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News WOW getting iterative graphics updates

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Sep 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I.. Simply don't understand the point of that. Unless the idea is to change it in such small amounts that the users end up not noticing?

God only knows.

3. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

It's a muh-mor-puh-guh!

Seriously, though, who plays WoW for the graphics anyway?

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

not only people don't play WoW for graphics, people who plays WoW usually don't have a good computer.

Crysis get better graphics = good
    WoW get better graphics = meh

5. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

The reasoning is obvious: keep your new, potential players interested. If there's one thing we should have learnt over the years, it's that idiots (and even your more seasoned gamer) will buy games that 'look' good.

They're just trying to ensure that some new MMO with flashier graphics, doesn't steal their new (and old) user bases. There does seem to be a lot more MMO competition out there, since Blizzard's whirlwind (arf) success.

6. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

+1

WoW is aging a bit, what's the harm in upgrading their #1 franchise? If it ends up looking like Oblivion, I might even start playing.

7. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

I myself look forward to even the smallest of graphical updates. No harm in it, is there?

/Looks forward to WotLK very much.

8. EmJay

EmJay What's a Dremel?

Sounds like as good a plan as any. This'll keep it from looking too horribly out of date, without alienating the people who are already running it. At least, in theory. I hope it works out well.

I need to do a platform upgrade (socket 939 board is dying), maybe now I have an excuse to update the graphics card as well...

9. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

EVE Online did something similar not long ago, overhauling their circa 2001 graphics with a free expansion that overhauled huge parts of the game engine, added DX10 graphics and made the game look like a 2008 title. Though CCP did it all in one nice big update so there was a real "wow!!" factor when you logged into and crapped your pants when your ship went from looking like a colorful shape to an actual warship :p

Though I don't play WoW anymore, a graphics upgrade is always a good thing, especially for your #1 title.

10. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Wow graphics are eye bleedingly bad. There are much older games out there which manage to look good despite the obviously low poly counts and small texture size. The garish colour pallet doesn't help.

11. *mat-ster*

*mat-ster* What's a Dremel?

I deleted my level 70 Pally and gave over 8000 gold to the guild bank last week...!

:wallbash:

WoW is a VERY addictive game but when you realise the graphics are truly woefull (the boat for axample)........and the "gameplay" is non-existant and toatally unbalanced you wake up and smell the roses....:eyebrow:

What you don't believe me ok - how many times do you get owned by groups of rouges in BG's, how may 10 year old kids play this game instead of doing "homework".

Can you go on WoW for a 10 min blast!

Killing the same boss over and over again for a "1 arm bandit style" drop is stupid....!
    I would like to see a MMO that uses realtime ability e.g. FPS along with talent style powers and "strategy" instead of "corner pull" for example..

I am sure a new MMORPG will start to threaten WOW, a game that rewards skill rather than time spent playing...the NEW Star Wars
    http://www.cinemablend.com/games/New-Star-Wars-MMORPG-in-the-Making-7052.html has big money backing and is rummored to be using the latest graphics etc......

Lets just hope the mistakes of Hellgate are considered carefully... :nono:

Matt

12. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

4years of wow is enough and new graphics are not going to bring me back. Come on WAR sept18.

Tags: Add Tags