1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Shattered Horizon Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 3 Sep 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That looks like a seriously interesting shooter. Definately high on the list of "watch this space" tbh.

Hopefully they'll do a singleplayer, because that is a great storyline so far, we just need to finish it off. :D

3. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Looks really cool, can't wait.

4. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

how has futuremark gotten away with creating a TWIMTBP title thats what i want to know

5. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Why not SP? It will be a awesome story for a single player game, exploring the moon, look for survivors, kill the evil greedy scrooge company boss, save the earth (and probably sexy lonely girl inside the moon) and get blown into the endless frontier called space.

maybe it is because i do not like "online" mp games anymore like i used to. Maybe it is because i love scifi. The fact of the matter is, that a single player game element would be great.

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

what is a TWIMTBP to begin with?

tbh it looks good but im going to seriously reserve judgement until i see soemthing more solid. it could just end up like 3d mark the game and like many others i gave up on mark when they changed thier name from mad onion.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Nvidia's marketing line: "The Way It's Meant To Be Played"

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

ah right gotcha

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

Nvidia has supported them with hardware to develop on, which is kinda invaluable when you're developing games and don't have funds to continually upgrade the studio's hardware during the development cycle. On the other hand, everything I've heard suggests that ATI has not really offered what would be classed as great support for even 3DMark, never mind their games.

I'm hoping to go out to the Games Test Labs in Moscow at some point because I really want to see exactly what happens there. It's an Nvidia-funded test lab that tests games on not just Nvidia hardware, but all hardware. I was talking with some of the people that worked there in the bar one evening at Nvision and they really don't care about the ATI vs. Nvidia battles - they just want to make games better, and more often than not they're suggesting optimisations that benefit all hardware and not just Nvidia's.

10. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I was fascinated by this until I saw the phrase "multiplayer only", which is tragic, because it actually seems to have had more than the usual eighteen seconds' thought put into it.

Multiplayer gaming is probably fantastic if you've got ten hours a day to spend at it. Otherwise, it's impossible to be in any way competitive, and it's no fun at all. I'm not talking here about being a "casual gamer"; I completed Far Cry, probably at an embarrassingly poor standard, I'm just a bit concerned that this obsession with multiplayer gaming is leaving a bunch of people like me out in the cold.

11. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

+1

After I read that it was more in the lines off... Meh

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

yeah, I'm not quite sure why there's been so much effort put into the story on a multiplayer game... if it turned into a story-driven singleplayer--or even co-op--that's where I think this game will get more interesting.

13. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

This will be an interesting game to watch, when it comes to market, if for nothing other than it being DX10 only. If it turns out to be a "must play" game (on the same level as e.g. WoW is or CS was) it might help Vista adoption. If it isn't, it'll fall flat due to the low adoption Vista has seen so far. I think it's quite risque for a new developer.

14. Jojii

Jojii hardware freak

screw higher barrier to entry, i've seen little snots on xbox live that can grasps some complex techniques and timing attacks. I'd rather have a challanging game that pushes the bar up. If i wanted something easy i'd go play a game on pop cap or some crap.

15. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

So will the health system be similar to Perfect Dark?

16. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

I'll be interested too, I'd upgrade to Vista if there was a DX10-only game I really wanted to play, but for now I'd rather spend £65 on other stuff.

I'll be disappointed if it's just multiplayer too, the basic premiss of the storyline is fascinating. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I always enjoy the single player aspect of a game more - I prefer having a rich world and immersive story to lose a few hours in, more so than a multiplayer where I spend most the time worrying about getting a high score...

17. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Looks like it's finally time for me to learn how to multiboot XP and Vista..

How can this be multiplayer only, when it has such a backstory? Will they bundle a freaking novel with the game?

18. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

When I saw the screenshots my immediate thought was all right new space RTS this is going to be awesome, but alas its not.
    I need a bigger HDD. Homeworld doesn't work on Vista and I have no space for a new partition.

The game looks to be quite interesting, but I wonder how they will set the controls for a fully 3d space.

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

controls are WASD, just like any other shooter, and to change orientation is G I believe.

20. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Ah so there's no real up/down movement, I was hoping for it to be any direction, maybe q, e for up and down thrusters.

Tags: Add Tags