1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware QNAP TS-409 Pro Turbo NAS

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 21 Sep 2008.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ya I did a review on this product a few months back, it has a lot of great features but the transfer rates were a let down, I sold it and just got the single driver version as it suited my needs better but I am looking forward to their new NAS that will be coming out soon. ^^

3. shaffaaf27

shaffaaf27 The budget builder

a bit early for a rewiew?

4. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I like these NAS boxes but I don't have that much media o share so I don't see the point lol. A networked external drive serves my purpose perfectly.

5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

500 MHz Marvell? Meh.

I'd really love to have one of these purpose-built NAS boxes, but lets put it this way: for the money I could also build a whole rig based on, say, E2160 and ALSO get well over 1 TB of HDDs to go with the build. And when a NAS box like this is put into comparison with a cheaper PC, the only good things are smaller size and lower wattage...

If it would cost the SAME here as it does in the US ($600 = 415€) then it wouldn't be so bad, but knowing from experience the price will be closer to 600 €. And that's just way too much for what it offers :(

6. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Have to agree with Jipa.

Admittedly there are a wealth of features however these are outweighed by the sheer cost. Holy mother of wallet emaciation £421 excluding disks :|

7. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

With all the file sharing features torrents, http etc, can it run a DC++ client?

8. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Boy do those HDD caddies look horrible, don't know why people trust single HDDs as a 'backup'...

9. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

This is the NAS I have and I like it.
    I use wireless so transfers are slow anyway.
    I just wanted a reliable low-power device to store all my files safely. :)

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

If someone has made a mod for it, then I assume it can do - it's all down to what's available in the plugins.

11. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I might be recommending something like this to my Mac lovin' flatmate, but like most BT readers, I've got loads of old hardware lying around, so I just built my own FreeNAS box, How many other NAS boxes run on a water cooled Semperon eh? (it was the only S754 chip I could find on sale, and I couldn't see the point in ripping out the water cooling...)

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I use FreeNAS on my parents machine and am tempted to make another, but onboard RAID isn't hugely reliable and good RAID cards cost as much as this QNAP itself.

13. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Have you considered using OpenSolaris with ZFS? ZFS implements a host of exceptionally powerful features, including end-to-end error checking (and correction if you have redundant storage as a mirror or RAID-X (similar to RAID5)), copy-on-write, near-instantaneous creation of ultra-space-efficient snapshots (so you can roll back to e.g. last week), "ditto blocks" for maximum data integrity (i.e. metadata is stored in multiple locations spread across the disc, so even if you don't have redundant storage, the corruption of one metablock won't make the underlying data unreadable), and a load of other very clever stuff.

This article is an example of how one person used ZFS to set up his home fileserver. I think it's the ideal choice, and the one I'll be using when I build my file server.

14. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I recently purchased the IcyBox IB-NAS4220 which offers 90% of the features at 1/4 of the cost although it only supports 2 drives. It also performs quicker, i transferred 40Gb of music in a hour and a half with speeds between 10-13mb/s over a 100mb connection from my vista desktop.

15. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

How loud / noticible is the icybox when it's running. I want to get a stand alone NAS box that I can leave on which won't be audible from the next room.

16. spoon.uk

spoon.uk Frag Me Bitch!

Finally someone who know what his talking about!

Tags: Add Tags