1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Seagate Freeagent|XTreme 1TB

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 28 Sep 2008.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. Sandwich

Sandwich What's a Dremel?

lack of eSATA is completely inexcusable. essentially without the cable its not really a usable feature.

3. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I suppose it's a default assumption that eSATA capable machines already ship with eSATA cables. Looks good, though. Sounds like the drive's activity indicators won't light your room up like fireworks when you're sleeping at night, which is what my external drive does.

4. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

duct tape? :p
    surely noise is more important factor than light for abox thats in your bedroom and on all night

5. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

that enclosure looks fugly.

6. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

The majority of these external drives should be passively cooled and vented, if that's what you're speaking on. For me, my external drive only makes a mild chirp when spooling up to write/read data. Otherwise, my laptop's inaudible fan is louder than the drive in full operation.

I just put Yu-Gi-Oh cards over the drive's annoying lights to mask it's magic show overnight.:lol:

7. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Looks like a good drive. I prefer to just buy an enclosure and put my own drive i it. At least you get something that looks good and most of the time it is cheaper.

8. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

i bought a 500g version of one of these for my old man to back up his photos (professional photographer) and the software is awesome. I just mapped his pc's documents folder and now all i do is turn on the free agent which is hooked up to my pc and in syncs with the pc downstairs and adds any new/edited files almost instantaneously,i'm well impressed with it! As for noise, you really cant hear it as its in an enclowed alu shell.

peace

fatman

9. Jayturn

Jayturn What's a Dremel?

That enclosure is horrible,looks more like a breadbin!

10. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Lack of Gbit Ethernet (or any at all) ruins it for me I'm afraid.

11. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

oh well there you go, laptops are loud :p
    i make sure i turn my external drives off at night, just the hum from them idling is way louder than the rest of my system

12. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Well, you're looking for something more along the lines of a NAS enclosure, then, I'd guess, instead of a simple external HDD.

13. cdawzrd

cdawzrd What's a Dremel?

+1

How is this in any sense "stylish"?

14. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Clean lines, smooth finish, functional and with a good looking backlit front fascia - seems stylish enough to me. As external drives go, you can do a lot, LOT worse in the aesthetics dept.

Any suggestions of a better looking drive rather than just finger pointing?

15. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

That's only matter of taste. Nothing else. Either you like it's design or not.

16. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Potentially a stupid question, but if this were to be connected via the wonderful Linksys NSLU2 as a networked hard drive (so that I can use it to download tv torrents without leaving my PC on) would the backup software still work to allow my mum to backup her photos etc?

I've been working an IT helpdesk for the past month and my brain is incapable of thinking of anything techy outside the software I'm answering questions about...

Tags: Add Tags