1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Court orders RealDVD halt

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Oct 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

*loading court case*

Buffering...

"All rise for the-"

Buffering...

"Honerable-"

Buffering...

screw RealNetworks.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I hope the movie industry takes one in the eye - Not because I like RealDVD (I don't like any of their software), but because the movie industry is already a multi-billion dollar industry, and shitting on LEGAL backups/rips for personal use is just making them seem like as big, if not bigger, a douche as Lars Ulrik.

Hope they get their asses sued for being money grabbing ****s.

Edit: Your profanity filter doesn't filter the four letter man-meat reference :B

4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

What a male chicken, its not profanity they say it on the bbc.
    /ot

Can't say i'm surprised that they are getting sued the movie industry really can't see beyond the end of its cheque book, its so desperate to keep control of its old business methods in an age where they are becoming less and less relevant and applicable.

5. liratheal

Every time I say it near kids or ladies, I get a physical slap or a verbal one >.>

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

either way it goes i am happy, either real networks gets rammed or the media creators get rammed.

7. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

Media Center + AnyDVD HD + MyMovies.

'nuff said.

i wouldn't be so flippant about this scenario. it still goes to show how arcane the movie studios (and by extension music labels) are as regards their attitude to digital storage and distribution.

Last edited: 6 Oct 2008
  8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yeah, unfortunately it's not that easy. While backups themselves are legal, breaking the copy protection isn't. The debate really is whether the DMCA has the legal ability to override the rights granted by the fair use act. Of course like any other geek I think the DMCA is a load of BS, but I still wouldn't sell software to break it.

(in the US of course - it's different everywhere).

9. liratheal

As I understand it there's DRM introduced in the digital copies that the Real software creates, though.

If I'm right about that, then this doesn't make it any easier to rip for distribution than say, ImTOO does, but Real has more money :/

10. Darkefire

Darkefire What's a Dremel?

See, if the courts actually follow the established law, RealNetworks should win this one hands down. The DMCA doesn't prohibit copying a movie, only breaking the copy protection on it. As their software makes a bit-for-bit copy of the DVD right down to the CSS encryption, they're not breaking the law even slightly. I hate Real as much as the next guy and would never use their software, but the community had better hope for a win on their part; a loss would basically open the floodgates to litigation on every byte of DVD copying software the greedy *******s can find, legit or not.

Tags: Add Tags