1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Wipeout HD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 11 Oct 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2008/10/11/wipeout-hd/1

It's fast, it's furious, it's not a predictably awful Vin Diesel film! It's Sony's high definition remake of one of the games that first cemented it as a leader in the console industry - but does Andy think that Wipeout HD is enough to interest gamers nowadays?

:clap:

2. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Excellent review and a very fair score imo.

3. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

god damn................i remember playing the entire series on my ps1/2 years and years and years ago, this game was awesome and the music as andy mentions was always awesome, lots of original chemical brothers from the album exit planet dust....smeggin awesome, now if only i had a ps3!

nice article too, kinda got caught up in the nostalgia there

peace

fatman

4. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Pfft, I played Wipeout Pure and Pulse on the PSP and still adore Wipeout HD on the PSP. It doesn't feel like more of the same at all, it just helps that I already know the tracks and don't have to learn new ones.

5. AuDioFreaK39

AuDioFreaK39 IT Journalist

this is undoubtedly my second favorite game for the PS3 thus far (next to Metal Gear Solid 4).

What won me over was the exceptional sound quality and the smoothness of 60fps on my 120Hz Samsung HDTV. The graphics are exceptionally compelling, and this game is definitely worth every cent.

6. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

The original was fantastic and I'm so happy to see a £12 game updating the franchise.

Looks awesome and may be the game that makes me buy a PS3.

7. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

No reference to F-Zero!

I never got into Wipeout purely because F-Zero existed and to me felt much better. I wish they would get on with releasing a Wii version so I can justify the thing.

8. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

What little of my socks weren't rocked by wipEout, were promptly removed by 2097. Wasn't 2097 one of the first games to need a graphics card? I remember looking into one for my 75mhz P1, but buying a just Playstation was cheaper!

I'm quite in the mood for a new racing game, but I don't think this'll make me buy a console this time... just out of principle.

9. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

aww man i used to remember those psygnosis days of wipeout when i was a kid. i think they also did g-police and colony wars which were great games....i would definitely like to see a g-police sequel.that game was awesome at the time.

10. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

I remember playing this on the...

Sega Saturn!!!

It was a glorious game. But at 8 years old, I honestly struggled with it...

11. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

ditto, i forgot about g police, that was an awesome game. Although if my memory serves, there was a glitch in one of the end levels where whilst trying to destroy a convoy, their aa made it impossible and thus the game was never completed. Awesome memories though, thanks for the nudge spectre

12. mp3manager

mp3manager What's a Dremel?

I'm buying a PS3 next pay-day, purely to play Wipeout HD. I absolutely love the game, of course I have them all for the PS1....and I even have the AMiGA version.

13. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

original wipeout with Prodigy sound track rocked :) did love that game.

This one looks good and i just sold my damned ps3 lol

14. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

no prob man i'm glad that some people knew about g-police.
    was there a glitch? i played and beat that game about 5 times. twice on ps1 and 3 times on pc. i never played the sequel though because i could never find it. but man, that game, i thought the story was ace (i never even saw the betrayal coming), the graphics were amazing for the hardware and i loved the dystopian future kind of vibe. not to mention the kickass weapons :rock:

i think I'm gonna play it now.

15. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Very good game, extremely fun and worth the $19 I paid for it over the PSN. Sure there isn't any original, but like you folks said: It's sheer eye-candy. Though I would have preferred to pickup a hard-copy on a disc ... because I'm one of those people who likes to show off his collection :)

16. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Im still amazed that sony are only charging £11.99 for this game. I know its alittle short which is reflected by the price point, but im sure if they added an extra track or 2 they could easily get £40 at retail.

Im not complaining, Im hoping this is not the only game priced like this because its a bargin.

I used to own the original Wipeout on Sega Saturn as I didnt think much of the PS1 back then, and being a kid with no money I could not buy a PS1 anyway. When a guy at work got a early Japanese PSP with wipeout, I was amazed how amzing it looked on a portable. Now its on PS3 in HD, it just looks amazing and the music is great as always, not forgetting the gameplay. I have started to get used to the sixaxis and getting better at it, I always thought a hover game like that really does need motion control because a steering wheel is just odd.

17. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

Wooo! Wipeout! Def one of my favorite racing games.... boy I wish it wasn't PS3 exclusive...

18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Top notch title, sure its been criticised in the review for being a rehash but for me I don't care, not played the others, so tracks are new, it'd be a 10 for me personally because of the adrenaline rush, so fast, so smooth, no other racing game on anything gets me on the edge of my seat sweating buckets, superb, actually thats a lie local Multiplayer Mario Kart DS with mates invokes same thing.

online stuff like records and trophies seem a bit flakey though, not always recording etc.

19. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Man I remember playing 2097 on my cousins PS1 back before we managed to convince our parents to get one. Those were the days. I thought the game was incredible back then, had an awesome soundtrack too. When I get a PS3 I'll definitely be grabbing this one.

20. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I think the SixAxis control works so well because (a) it makes sense in a game like this; and (b) most people unconsciously tilt the controllers during racing games anyway, so it feels natural anyway.

Tags: Add Tags