1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple coughs to Nvidia flaw

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Oct 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

My current MBP hasn't exerted this issue (though this is a replacement for one of the first models, and that had a similar problem; one-off thing though), definitely falls in the range though.

3. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Mine falls in the range, maybe it'll die soon and I can get a new one :p

4. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

^ Haha, +1

5. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

BTW out of interest, if your own an older generation MBP and it dies under warranty, would Apple give you a newer generation replacement?

6. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Im still waiting for the courier to come and get my explosive G4 battery, shame they wont be sending out new MBPs to those with faulty ones then failing to collect them :p

Stealth Edit:
    Probably not, I got my LCD panel replaced under the 'patchy display scheme thingy'. By this time they had increased the resolution of the screens and I still got fitted with the older 1280x845 one.

7. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I dunno how they'd replace the faulty chips though, cause they can't exactly just put a new one in if all of them are supposedly problematic.

8. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Probably a direct logic board replacement, just about impossible to remove and replace the problematic chips. As for not knowing which ones are not faulty to put in, they will probably get a batch with nvidia's promise they are okay.

9. riggs

riggs ^_^

Major bumpity-bump but what the hell...

I have a MBP, purchased May 2008 which has been top notch so far, but recently has decided to not play nice with my TV anymore. I'm using a DVI -> HDMI cable to hook it up to my Sony Bravia (720p) and it was flawless up until recently. The TV now just states "out of range' no matter which resolution I choose (although the MBP still recognises it as a 'Sony TV'). I'm just using a cheapo cable but I have borrowed my mates £50 QED cable but it makes no difference.
    I've also tried the 2nd HDMI port on my TV (which my PS3 is hooked up to) but it still displays the 'out of range' message.

However, it still outputs ok to a standard VGA LCD using the official Apple DVI->VGA adaptor.

My question is, can I self evaluate my machine as I don't really want to make a 4-hour round trip to my nearest Apple store?
    Really need to find out whether my machine is affected as the standard warranty runs out on May 24th.

Tags: Add Tags