1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 7 UI previewed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 29 Oct 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

glorified patch?

3. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Looks a lot like Vista. Some of those ideas have been 'borrowed' from OSX as you say, but KDE4 offers similar functionality via Plasma. Unfortunately, for Microsoft that is, businesses will look at this and question the relevance. Unless MS can force users down the Windows 7 route via some compelling features (from Microsoft?) then XP will live long in the Corporate IT sphere.

Andy

4. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

an expensive glorified patch

Why do I see this surpassing the amount of insults that vista recieved

5. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

It's a good catch up to KDE's plasma, but all I really give a crap about is general performance improvements and less notifications about pointless stuff.

6. veland

veland What's a Dremel?

This looks more like some "My first Windows!" thing... I don't want all the fancy graphics, give me something that works and where I can find what I'm looking for without going through lots of wizards, helps systems, fancy windows with no content and so on...

7. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Maybe not so - it's only a UI preview, so for all we know, Microsoft may have some uber function that hasn't been announced yet. Hell for all we know, it could require the computing power of Windows 3.1 to run the OS, while providing us with shiny colors, reliable data security, a browser that is better than firefox.

My god it's cold outside...hell freezing over anyone?

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

wow that looks like KDE!

9. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I just thought exactly the same thing!

10. Crunch77

Crunch77 What's a Dremel?

Would love to have the UI enhancements mentioned in the article. I wonder however, if this couldn't be possible to do in Vista?

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

What the **** is that?

12. ramjet

ramjet What's a Dremel?

x

Last edited: 29 Oct 2008
  13. ramjet

ramjet What's a Dremel?

XP rules in Network Environment

I have an open mind about W7 - but Vista never worked for networked computers

I am responsible for 7 inter-linked file servers & numerous PCs and Laptops on and off-site - every one is on XP which is a stable network environment

Not only my company but all the companies I know in the UK are are on XP for networked workstations AND our external network suppliers/installer who supply networks all over the UK tell me that they have NO - that's NONE - networks running on VISTA -

when I buy a new set of laptops I insist on being supplied with an XP roll-back disk for each

etc etc etc

W7's going to have to be able to provide a guaranteed stable network to prompt any change at all

RJ

14. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Oh look, they copied KDE.

I'll stick to *nix and install KDE 4.2 instead..

15. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Going back to the Windows 7 name thread some time ago, doesnt this make it Windows 6.1? Or have I missed something :p

16. icutebluezone

icutebluezone The meaning of life is to MOD

Im still with XP pro SP3. And hate visaand have used, Windows 7 i mite try Thats a mite. :)

17. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

I quite like the look of that actually, sure it "borrows" heavily from OSX and KDE but i like it. I might just skip vista alltogether and go straight to 7

18. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

They should just release it as a UI service pack for Vista, thats exactly what it is.

19. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I'm quite impressed by all the UI enhancements and tweaks they've showed off so far. Things like simply shuffling taskbar items I've been after for a long time, and the whole docking windows into different grid setups should be cool (ironically I sat through the PDC keynote the liveblog next to it using Vista's more difficult method). There doesn't seem to be too much going on elsewhere but 7 should at least make up for all the problems people had with Vista- all the 'under the hood' changes have already been made so there's not much to go wrong here.

I was also doubly impressed when he held up a 1Ghz (VIA?), 1GB netbook and said it ran Windows 7 fine and used only 500mb of disk space (so obviously a slightly cut down version).

20. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

but people dont pay for a UI service pack, which is what they want

Tags: Add Tags