1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Core i7 - Nehalem Architecture Dive

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 3 Nov 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Sounds very promising.

3. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Looks interesting, but there's a strong overtone of reservation in the article. Were you perchance thinking "why is everything but the execution core changed?"

4. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

I'm unsure of BitTech's feeling on links to competing sites, so I don't know if I'm committing a massive faux pas or what.

TechReport previewed two X58 mobos (Intel DX58SO, Asus P6T Deluxe) hitched up to a Core i7-965 Extreme. It includes some benchmarks.
    They can't give an i7 preview yet, but you can compare specific application performance figures with a big CPU comparison review they did in April on the Q9300.

I'm not too impressed by the i7 just yet, and this architecture briefing explains why. Hugely more expensive (both CPU and entire platform), with mixed performance results.

BTW, P6T Cheesecake. Cheaper and faster.

5. xtremeownage

xtremeownage What's a Dremel?

Any new processor that requires a new socket is an expensive upgrade. Intel can forget getting my money for a while because the q6600 hasn't even been pushed to its limits let alone have all the 4 cores running at 100% load at any given time. Hardly any game as come to this point. Alan Wake may in fact pull this 1 off but even then the xbox 360 has 3 cores so why bother upgrading from q6600 to i7 when the 360 price has fallen dramatically for us gamers.

From a a developers point of view whether it be 3d animation and other intensive tasks then maybe they can consider these new processors. I would like to also stress the introduction of Physic cores in graphics card play a better role in processing physics calculations. Adobe and other companies use Nvidia GPU Cores to run software intensive tasks these days and the performance gains are phenomenal. I really don't see the point of upgrading if you already own the latest GPU's from Nvidia and ATi riding shot gun along side a Q6600.

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

there is a full i7 performance breakdown coming... we're just triple checking everything before hitting fire :)

7. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

Coming today, or...? Sorry, just can't wait to see benchmarks :D

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

yes :)

9. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

1366 BGA balls...now that's a real challange for motherboard manufacturers. Did intel make any changes to that stupid cooler mounting system? Or at least recommended back plate(like AMD boards use) to MB manufacturers? And god forbid they use micro BGA balls...

10. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

win and want

i think unless somethign rather spectacular happens, i may have to throw in my AMD fanboy towel for the last time (sniff)

i was really really hoping that something amazing was going to happen and a magical Phenom that actually doesn't suck balls would appear.. alas its never going to happen

11. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

DFI Lanparty X58 certified for 3-way SLI............

*drool*

12. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

13. *Alex*

*Alex* What's a Dremel?

id like to be able to get an i7 setup as rendering is taxing my q6600 and would liek to see how much better these are.

14. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

above reported. ^^

I dunno whether to hold on for i7, or not. Tough choice.

15. willyolio

willyolio What's a Dremel?

honestly, while this undoubtedly is a very powerful architecture, i just can't get excited about it. i seriously can't think of a single time in the past year where i've been aching for more CPU power. GPU, for sure. but CPUs? even budget processors have enough power for me, so another high-end product really doesn't make a difference.

16. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Why all the fuss over 8 threads on a 4 core chip. I'm using a Sun chip with 32 threads on a 4 core chip. True, it isn't as fast as a P3, but, 32 threads!!!

Heh, okay, so I want an i7, who wouldn't? I'll just keep my Q6600 soldiering on for another year or two and then think about upgrading.

Andy

17. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Tags: Add Tags