1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Security flaw in Vista discovered

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Nov 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Seriously... something as bad as this, and only a fix for the next SP? How soon will it come out then?

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Ah bugger Vista, I, and I get the impression a lot of others, are waiting for Windows 7.

4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Yeah, don't really see the point in paying for vista when its about to be made redundant. Though i'm the man who stuck with 2k till 2k6.

5. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Yet another reason to switch to Linux for everything bar gaming tbh...

6. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

I agree, but still doesn't outweigh the costs of having to switch to linux for a significant majority of users (including me!). Until linux is reeaaaaaally easy and works as well as windows 'out of the box', I can't see myself switching! Every single time I install (and I use ubuntu - linux for noobs) it goes wrong or theres some driver issue and it's not trivial to fix, unlike windows where it pops up a balloon, you click on it, and it installs drivers. that's my 2p anyway :D

Although it would be nice to know if this is a vulnerability as in someone hacking into your PC from the internet or whether you have to actually execute malicious code, in which case the vulnerability is the user which makes any system vulnerable.

Though people shouldn't level lots of hate against vista - it's probably not worth upgrading if you already have XP, but it is sufficiently superior to definitely recommend it over XP for someone who is building a new system.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Oh no Vista has 1 issue found after 2 years and half about. Where XP you have issues at every corner.

8. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I honestly can't consider pressing next next next every time some piece of hardware is detected or having to keep inserting a CD or downloading software/drivers being "out of the box". Only if you mean "Out of the Installation CD Box". Of course its trivial, compared to installing some piece of hardware/software on Linux, but more and more is Linux (and specifically Ubuntu) more and more trivial, which you simples plug it in and thats it, or open up synaptic and select and install.

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

10. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

i agree
    vista had alot less security issues since release
    xp still have security issues since it was released, just check windows update on a XP RTM system and check how many security updates you get :p
    its gonna be many

11. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I have a XP pre-SP1 disk...
    Takes me a day and half to download all the updates up to SP3, and about 2 GB of bandwidth.

I know my previous comments was a bit exaggerated but compared to XP, it feels this way.

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i feel the same.

13. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

I thought M$ stated they were not making a second service pack for Vista....

14. johnmustrule

johnmustrule What's a Dremel?

Vista is definately my favorite OS right now. If your not an idiot its not really very hard to keep any computer running top-notch, windows computers always fill up the fastest and that's because they are the largest target for hackers, nothing surprising there.

Advanced Windows care v3
    Glary Utilities
    ccleaner

Basically those and a decent anti-virus are all you need, best yet there free.

15. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

Honestly I didn't get the impression from the article that it a huge pressing concern. As stated in the article currently all that the flaw can be proven to do is shut off the computer and it needs admin rights to do that. It doesn't really sound like they need to be tripping over themselves working on a patch.

16. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

if you read all the article it states theres a possibility of injecting code and bypassing admin rights completely, very bad stuff.

17. PederVM

PederVM What's a Dremel?

If you know how DHCP works, you know that it would be quite hard to exploit this flaw.

To exploit this flaw you have to control the DHCP-server in the machines local subnet and be able to send a specially crafted DHCP-response, a DHCP-server does not send anything unless a DHCP-client requests it, to a DHCP-request from a DHCP-client (the DHCP-request is send as at broadcast [1] and not to a specific IP-adress, unless the machine is connected to a switch with management and the possibility to setup an IP-helper-adress where DHCP-request gets forwarded to).

[1] its highly unlikely your router is configured to forward broadcasts to outside adresses, including to the internet.

Most ISPs configure the routers so they works as a local DHCP-server, so pcs connected to the same network can reach eachother eventhough the internetconnection is down. If your router is configured this way, an intruder would have to take control of the router, modify the firmware on the router and wait for your machine to send a DHCP-request and then try to break the machine.

Most routers dont run software that users can compile or modify themselves, Linksys has a few that runs Open Source firmware (i can only remember openwrt.org). So watch out if you are in the habit of upgrading your router with firmware from suspicious websites.

18. seanblee

seanblee What's a Dremel?

So, if I execute a piece of code and give it admin rights, it can reboot my PC. Wow. A batch file containing 'shutdown -r -t 0' would do exactly the same thing, but that doesn't have people shouting 'oh no, Vista, full of security holes, run Linux, it's teh win!!!!1111one'. People are weird.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Except a batch file containing "shutdown -r -t 0" wouldn't overwrite kernel memory with garbage, which is rather more serious than a clean shutdown. Especially if you can control exactly what garbage gets written...

20. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

And your grounds for believing Windows 7 will be unbreakable? :confused:

Tags: Add Tags