1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News iPhone advert pulled by ASA

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Nov 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. chiper136

chiper136 What's a Dremel?

When are they going to pull Oil of Olay adds for not really making 60 year olds look 20. Or Xbox adds for not putting a 'has a 1:3 chance of red ringing on you' on the screen.

Seems a little too much to me.

3. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Interesting. Has anyone seen the app store advert? They cut the time it takes to buy and install an app, removing steps to make it look easy and fast. The entire ad hinges on how 'this is how you buy and install and app, see how simple and fast it is? this will change everything' and then at the very end you get the disclaimer 'steps removed from actual process' or something like that. Is reality getting in the way of how cool they want their product to look?

Last edited: 27 Nov 2008
  4. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Can't say I use 3g much apart from maps (which works fine on 1g, just abit slow :p) - silly claims really though as it depends so much on network conditions.

5. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

its almost as bad as an intel advert i see (and then immediatly start shouting at) on TV here in canada.
    Its got some ditty bint holding the core and saying that "this little thing uses less energy and saves my battery...i dont know how it does it but it does."

After that its the end of the advert. NOTHING on the bottom of the screen and no comparason. It boils my piss i tell you!

EDIT:: the intel core is a Centreno 2 and it dosnt even say which one!!!

6. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Isn't the internet a lot slower than it should be on the iphones 3g network? I've heard a lot of complaints. Imo if a device is only going to function as advertised for a very small portion of the userbase, as I imagine it does in this case, then yes, the ad should be reworked.

7. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

"Sequence altered and steps removed", I think. Bloody chancers.

8. D B

D B What's a Dremel?

Demonstrating traits that dont exhist to make buy something is wrong , and makes my blood boil

9. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Wow, adverts make a lot of body fluids boil these days! I remember back in the day when ads took it easy.

10. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Not at all. The Oil of Olay adverts don't go "this will make you look MUCH younger, REALLY quickly" and then show a video of a 90 year woman putting on cream and suddenly waking up to find she looks 20. There's a scale to these things, and Apple went too far. Even on a bloody wifi the iPhone doesn't load pages that quickly, so yes I fully agree with the ASA's decision.

11. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Aye, like 'buy this, it's fantastic and much better than our competitor's load of old tripe, plus it'll make your sex life completely awesome'

12. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

No, but the beauty industry is guilty of misusing statistics to make their products sound better. They say things like "90% of women tested said they saw an improvement in the shape of their knees" with a line at the bottom of the screen saying that the 90% was from a sample of twenty women. Now, last time I did stats, a sample size of twenty will not provide any statistically significant results. But the ASA doesn't pull any of those ads...
    I noticed the "some steps removed" on the apps ad the other night, and laughed. But my point is that most adverts these days are misleading in one way or another.

13. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

true that the stats are all wrong (like the chicago town pizza tasting better than a takeaway pizza a majority agreed or something like that...their sample was 401 people, and 201 people thought it tasted better than a takeaway) it just a manipulation and i give credit to the individuals who think up the wording and 'testing'/samplying that backs up advert claims as its clever.

but the point with that olay, is that 90% of the women who used it did see an improvement, its not misleading if you believe everything you hear. Another example is johnsons saying that 95% of midwives use johnsons baby bath lotion bla bla, i asked my sister, a midwife, she told me that johnsons give away loads of free baby gear to midwives, so yes they do all use it but because its free. so is johnsons lying, no, but its just advertising.

Advertising will always be like this as they are trying to make you buy something, so it has to be better, or acredited by someone. even if they only make you buy it once, it still does its job. If you read every advert or watch an olay advert and think bugga, i can make my misses look like a 20 year old again then ha ha ha ha ha you monkey, if olay was that effective then an industry for cosmetic surgery wouldn't exist cos i've got a pill i just made to make womens booobs appear bigger* :p

oh and chiper 136, so long as microsoft dont claim 50% reliability or higher on the 360 then they arent doing anything wrong, as they arent selling you a console for its reliability, they sell it on the basis that you can use it to play games, which it can, and if it breaks in warranty they will repair it.

As for apple, they should have said that the internet is remarkably quicker than previous generations of mobile phones that utilise web browsing. or something like that. But i agree with asa, they are bang on and its just a bit sloppy from a company like apply to make such a boo boo imo.

*results vary depending on female body chemistry.

sorry for the rant, but the ignorance of some shoppers is frustrating, oh and there probably are some typos, i just came off a 12hr so you can keep 'em

peace

fatman

14. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

I don't see how the ASA can pull something for a qualitative phrase, now if they were stating specific speeds then yes, but this seems ridiculous.

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Caveat Emptor: let the buyer beware. If you are going to part with up to £159,-- of your hard-earned cash and lock yourself into an 18-month contract into the bargain, aren't you at least going to play a bit with the item first? See if it lives up to your expectations? There are plenty of demonstration units for you to fondle at the Apple and O2 shop.

If you are too lazy to do that, just browse over to some of the many iPhone reviews that litter the intertubez. If you are too lazy to do even that, you probably can't afford an iPhone anyway because your employment history probably involves a lot of sitting on the sofa all day, chainsmoking black-market fags, drinking White Lighting cider and watching Jeremy Kyle.

16. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

Come on, advertising is 90% of all that Apple is doing. I mean, they can't provide a really good phone or music player (ipods are popular, which still doesn't make them good - my 5 year old Sony MZ-R909 sounds MUCH better than anything Apple could ever make) so they must throw loads of ca$h into ads to sell junk to people too lazy/dumb to understand what they buy (omg, this is sooo shiny and Tv said that this is cool so it must be awesome).

17. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

yay apple got bitched finally for this!

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yeah, 100 million iPods sold. Must all be bought by gullible fools seduced by glossy advertising. :rolleyes:

n3mo, it's for you. Reality calling.

19. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

the real world Wi-fi speed compared with this iPhone advert

although this advert was misleading, with the new 2.2 firmware, it seems the Appstore apps advert are pretty close.

but installing apps is a pain, and the lack of managing or folders is such a fail on Apple's part. so i say to other iPhone users: Jailbreak your phone and enjoy hacked solutions (as always) better than native ones provided by Apple.

20. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

To be fair though... how may packets of Cigarettes sold to young people (i.e not yet addicted)

Or those tv shopping channel products? Miricle hair regrowers, etc etc etc. Never underestimate the power of the right marketing on the right audience.

Tags: Add Tags