1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Sitecom WL-308 300N XR Gaming Router

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 30 Nov 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

very nice idea for a product is that...and whilst i partially agree with harry on the upload being a bottleneck in internet connections in the uk, in a shared environment i dont think it would be that bad. when i was at uni i setup the router(originally smoothwall) and the net ran fine for the most part, downloads were managed and uploads were limited through bitlord. unless its a house of computer scientists who insist on continually re-uploading we data through ftp then i cant see it being a problem. for me the product is a winner, as the main problem when ppl download is maxing that connection, and this product provides seemless gameplay as harry pointed out.

i do agree on one thing though, its a shame they couldnt get it all right and make both down and up work with 100% effectiveness.

peace

fatman

3. koola

koola Minimodder

So basically it's a flashy WebUI router with some Layer 7 QoS.

4. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I think it looks pretty good, simplistic is the way I like it. Personally i'm not that put off by the upload speed loss. When I game the only other person using the net is my brother and that is only web browsing, he knows not to upload or watch vids while i'm gaming.

5. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

I personally use a Linksys WRT54GL with third party DD-WRT firmware installed, it has been perfect and the DD-WRT firmware makes it better than any on the market.

6. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

^ Forgot to mention you can even overclock your router using DD-WRT. There is so much more it can do, just Google it.

7. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

want good upload QOS + shaper its www.IPcop.org set the upload limit in the trafic shaper (its set in kbs i think) and game away + useing emule and bit torrant at the same time (do not use any more)
    all you need is 2 network cards (cable UK ) or an ADSL modem that work with IPcop that does not crash under high connection count
    an old pc or new

the one only resone i give up on it is there is Upnp support, thay refuse to add it due to it been an securty risk (well it is) but MSN live msg Remote support tends not to work with out the ports been open and some games, as i fix pcs alot get alot of remote support as well (there is an way to add UPnP support but as i not up on my linux console use i just got board in the end)
    all thay need to put an Big warrning that its an risk but programs like msn will not work correctly if its turnd off

8. Project_Nightmare

Project_Nightmare What's a Dremel?

Hey I was going to say the same thing :(

9. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

How would you guys rate this against something comparable that's been around for a while longer; in particular, the D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme-N?

10. OnyxLilninja

OnyxLilninja What's a Dremel?

Oh! So close, if they sort out upload management, I would buy it. As they haven't, I won't. Perhaps the upload management can be improved in future firmware releases?

11. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

This was pretty much our consensus too - if the stream engine had worked perfectly, this would have been THE router to have in a shared or student house.

12. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

StreamEngine isn't something that's confined to this Sitecom router. Actually StreamEngine is part of the feature set of the Ubicom chips and can also be found in such routers as the D-Link DIR-655, DIR-855, DIR-825, Trendnet TEW-633GR, and the U-MEDIA WRT-390U. Ubicom-based routers are some of if not THE fastest routers on the market.

Last edited: 3 Dec 2008
  13. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

A Cat5e modem? Come on guys, you're a technical publication... "ADSL via a modem equipped with an ethernet port"

I only heckle because I love bit-tech!

Tags: Add Tags