1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MySQL creator decries latest build

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Dec 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. rembo666

rembo666 What's a Dremel?

I work for a specialized software company and the products we release can sometimes hardly be called "Beta". However, sometimes with such huge projects and low development resources users would rather have something sooner than to wait for a rock-solid product.

I don't think MySQL applies to that category of products though. A database that serves as a backend to much of the Internet should be a "zero-failure" product. I'm not against a general release that contains serious bugs; but call it "Beta", or at least "Release Candidate" to let users know that it's not yet ready for production work.

3. identikit

identikit Minimodder

But surely most people don't rush out and dl the latest and greatest. You don't do that without testing on a dev server first. As it stands though the community that uses MySQL either A) know their stuff and will stick with proven versions or B) just use it for CMS etc and won't even know what version of MySQL is installed by their webhost.

4. RTT

RTT #parp

Loads of GA software has critical bugs in it, especially commercial, non-os software. The difference is you only find out when you call support - at least OS developers are honest about the state of things!

Tags: Add Tags