1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rockstar: "a small number of fans" having issues

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Dec 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Pff... Small number....

I still havn't actually got to the opening credits becuase of the stupid game.

3. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I'm thinking their definition of "Small percentage" = PC GTA4 userbase

4. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

"Small" >_<

5. Naberius

Naberius What's a Dremel?

The problems in getting the game running are huge, then theres the constant lag in the gameplay.

to be honest the game is awesome when its working, but it might as well be the worst game in the world, cause i cant play it anyway.

6. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

glad i got it for my 360 back in april :)

i love PC gaming, but i couldn't wait for it.... there is something good about console gaming, it just plug and play and not plug and pray :p

7. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

I suppose as a percentage of the entire population of the planet regardless of whether they even have a PC or not it would be a small percentage.

8. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Does the steam version still contain SecuRom ?
    If so, then i'll be waiting for a while...a great shame since I have been anticipating this since the end of GTA:SA.....

9. Doyleyboy

Doyleyboy What's a Dremel?

Well i installed it....eventually. even though it took a good 2 hours of faffing about to do it. only had a quick go as it was late in the day, and thought the graphics could be better. tried to turn up the texture settings and see if there was some way of turning on AA as the game really needs it.

when i discovered i couldnt do either, i was a bit annoyed but thought sod it lets have another crack. then i got the stupid securom error. "Please replace the duplicated image with the real disc" or some nonsense. and now i cant start the game, as it thinks ive pirated it. the funny thing is, i never removed the disc between playing it! so how on earth its gone from recognising it fine, then suddenly deciding ive pirated it is beyond me. argh what a load of rubbish!

sort it out rockstar!

10. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

The Steam version is no different to the disk version (except you don't have a disk). You'll still need to be signed into G4WL as well as Steam (and I think the Rockstar club thing too).

lots of info here

11. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Yay. I installed FarCry2 last month, and that has secuRom, so i'm already shafted on that front.
    No real reason not to buy it on steam....
    I don't like the idea of being harvested by having to login to G4WL and some F-ing rockstar social club thing....
    I'll wait a couple of weeks and see if this sorts itself out by then....

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i bet the pirates will be playing this soon without all of that BS...

13. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

The Pirates already are, there is a working work around for online & offline play out now.

14. Trefarm

Trefarm No matter what... It's all good

Bought it, spent five hours! installing, patching, tweaking, re-installing, hunting through forums for clues, swearing loudly, hanging my head in my hands, reading an Asimov while swapping discs and HATING THE ENTIRE EXPERIENCE.

It's a good game from a (previously) great developer, but what are they thinking?
    Lets team up with Microsoft everyone loves them?

Lets have a rubbish 'social site' with little benefit, that automatically runs on start up (using THREE times the system resources of my utorrent running some 50 odd torrents)

Let's use Securom no-ones had problems with it ( NWN2 fubared my OS )

Lets LIE to everyone in the face and tell them "it's a small percentage"... NO it's a huge percentage, so lets have some F*#king empathy for all those people who shelled out for the game.

15. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

I am gonna give it a few weeks (got Fallout3, RA3, L4D, HL2EP2 and a few others I've not played yet) and if its not sorted by then, its -1 sale and +1 pirated copy. :(

16. OleJ

OleJ Me!

wow... this first feedback makes me sad... I've waited for GTA IV since I finished San Andreas (bought it on the first day available) and it's the only game I'm really a fan of.
    Here's to hoping it'll run fine once I get it.

17. Doyleyboy

Doyleyboy What's a Dremel?

ok now the game seems to have decided my copy is legit again. so everything seems fine. got myself a xbox wireless usb doo-hickey and it really helps when actually playing the game. which is something id recommend, cos now ive got it working its a great game.

it really is worth sticking with it and getting it working, because it is a lot of fun. have to say i havent experienced crashes or anything so thats good. the new features are actually quite good. i surpisingly found myself messing about with the video editor quite alot. spent about and hour getting the perfect angles for me sending some hobos flying on the beach by handbraking into them. good times!

persevere guys, its worth it!

18. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

This is the last Rockstar game I'm ever going to bother with. This is beyond ridiculous.
    I've got it running fine with 1280x1024 using "launchgtaiv.exe -norestrictions" while signed in on Rockstar games social club. But this should have never been neccessary. They had the game working fine on XBOX 360 and Playstation 3. All they had to do was port it to PC and they messed it up bad. Besides the GTA series is dead to me anyways. Just the same crap all over again with better graphics. This is just their way of saying "we really don't want to make games for the PC platform. PC gamers are nothing but pirates anyways. No financial benefit for us. So hey, here's our silly PC port suckers.."

Tags: Add Tags