1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Windows Vista SP2 beta performance

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 10 Dec 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

lol +/- 5% in either direction is a minimal difference. nothing to shout home about really

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

It's the difference between chosing your favourite L4D character and being beaten to it. Nothing to be sniffed at!

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

yep, differences are small... but not insignificant in some cases. :)

5. katmandude

katmandude What's a Dremel?

One question springs to mind why bother with vista in the first place?
    I've had endless problems with driver issues and compatibility since day one of my unfortunate windows vista trek. So annoying were the problems that i reverted to my ol' pal XP (which, in the begining was a real pain in the hiney, before sp1... even then Xp was sort of unstable at times). I've tried vista 64 bit on a intel core2 8400 with two 4850 and 8 gigs of ram, 'aahhhh' thought I, 'some computing power after 2 years of , good and faithfull intel 3.2 + windows2K and windows XP service)
    NOT A CHANCE.... vista screwed the wifi, turned hyde on my graphics suite (crossfire under 64 bit.. ha! not even a whimper after 2 years of developpement...) bugger....

What eally pisses me off is thir nonchalence at our day to day problems, the fact that u get updates which can potentialy make u're pc go from stable as a rock to jello stability in an instant. And that the updates are 'critical' , AB SOL UTE LY indispensable and if you don't get them u're passible of getting crucified by all sorts of nastys. Errrrr, people, seriously, when a bug, or a virus breaks out, in any case u're going to get it unless you unplug your pc from the system and not turn it on until after armageddon... nobody can predict ( cos it costs too much money :p) what viruses will do in the future, and we have such a great imagination to invent things that will hurt, break, burn things/people :p ...Of course some of you might argue that u can chose what you install or not...
    have any of you read what they put up as explanations for what black magic they are about to perform on your beloved machine?
    I bet a genius from nasa on heroine wouldn't know...

**sigh**

example: with sp3 on xp they did something to 'fix' the wifi, which was pre sp3 working rather fine. ( i have a dlink DWL G510 rev C). after the 'fix' all hell breaks lose, i'm getting blue screens, freezes, programs not responding, a dll gone missing and poof, u're as good as on xanax + vanax cocktail. revert back to your old set up? undo what windows does? well, naturally i tried, naturally , it failed... well actually i didn't do ****: " t'was the prrrogram captain" , a back up point under XP, which strangely didn't undo all the update did.
    another thing which makes me rather worried: i can't for some strange reason install windws explorer 7. it just WILL NOT update, install, or anything.
    what now? wait for windows 7? decide to send a horse's head to S. ballmer? with a note : 'going to make you a offer you can't refuse'?
    All i'm asking is for a OS whch works normally, with no hassle ( even though i'm prepared to undergo a bit, just cos i like computers).
    PLEASE MICROSOFT GET ONE OS RIGHT !, just one, just a little.... ( oh yeah, u can shoot the morron who put vista together, several times , and burn him, exorcise his office, put salt on where he walked...)

all th best A.

6. katmandude

katmandude What's a Dremel?

for the record for the unlitterate:

windows 2K with the last SP can't remember if it was SP4 or 5 was rather good
    windows XP SP2 : GREAT!
    windows XP SP3 : BAD
    VISTA : not really rubish, just very very unfinished. plenty of growing potential. one problem, having computers with a 'growing' OS can lead to very frustated customers and lots of company/work realted disasters.
    on the whole: vista is like a paranoiac deeply depressed CIA agent with tourets syndrome, naked and dripped in gazelle sauce, on heroin, drunk, hunting lions with nukes... rather nice looking but terrible working buddy.

windows 98 : aarrgh , ok for
    windows Me : If bill gates had appeared to me on the week after i installed Me, I would have f****** him in the spleen with a chain saw.
    windows server: any date: not much to do but let the techies go balistic :p great OS ^^
    windows 95 : use the install CD as a frisbee in the office
    windows 3.11 : great little piece of frankenOStien. loved to tweak and rewrite stuff for it.

7. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

And that kids, is called Irony.

notatoad likes this.
  8. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

really? i just thought it was a fine example of self pwning :p

9. DaMightyMouse

DaMightyMouse What's a Dremel?

( oh yeah, u can shoot the morron who put vista together, several times , and burn him, exorcise his office, put salt on where he walked...)

Someone give him a hug! There is so much anger :p

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

We should add a Hug module to the forums :)

11. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Golden.

12. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

That made my day :D

13. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Well, give him a break. He is from Belgium. He's probably arrived pre-relixed, poor chap.

14. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

True. Made me laugh all the same :)

15. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Classic.

So when is Relix becoming King/Emperor/God of Belgium?

Vista SP2 beta? Sure, I'll install this... as it was so much fun to go from SP1 beta to SP1 retail. :eyebrow:

16. Slyr7.62

Slyr7.62 «ŚŁÂŶÈŘ»

illiterate. ;)

17. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

Face it, Vista is rubbish. It loses in every field to every other OS.
    I don't get this whole push towards Vista on Bit-Tech. The site begins to look Micro$oft & Intel financed. When crappy i7 (which was a specially engineered sample) was pushed to 5.5GHz it got on front page, but when Daneb officially hits 6213 MHz (during AMD Austin Tech Day, this was a standard, retail-grade CPU) you don't say a word. I'm not a fanboy, but Bit-Tech seems to get more and more biased.

18. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Hm,, maybe it's me but I really don't get it.

I've been using Vista since it's pre-Vista days ... you know; back when it was known as Longhorn (in my opinion a much cooler sounding name. Though Xp also had a cooler sounding name in beta stage: Whistler). Anyway, as I said; I've been running Vista for quite some time, and sure - initially there were memory leaks, driver and stability issues. However, now that the system has matured a bit I find it to be a joy to work with. It does everything I ask of it, and it does not complain much about it. My games run as they did on XP, and in some cases even better. So yes, I really don't get all this Vista-bashing.

Then again, it would be boring if we all had the same opinions.

19. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

Reading "Vista is rubbish" is getting really boring. As for " It loses in every field to every other OS" that is totally and utterly bull****, I love Linux but do you see Ubuntu been able to play Crysis, do you see XP with DX10, no, so please stop boring us with your insignificant comments.

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

What, like here?

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/11/21/amd-s-45nm-cpus-specifically-designed-for-ocing/1

:rolleyes:

and just to point this one thing out:

Do you realise what you've written?

Anyway, thanks for your opinion - everyone is entitled to one. We have two new AMD CPUs currently being tested, and when we tested the Core i7 value we pointed out the AM2+ platform was superb value, and the countless HD 4800s we've tested (and highly recommended over the competition), and other stuff that you can go search for - you've cheered the office up this afternoon. Thanks! :):):)

Tags: Add Tags