1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony to launch Home tomorrow

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Dec 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. markwalker84

markwalker84 What's a Dremel?

Meh...

That is all

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I want to see what all the fuss is about. I'm surprised they went with Far Cry 2 and not LBP.

4. Mister_X

Mister_X Chaotic Neutral

Hmmm polishing a turd comes to mind

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Been fiddling with the beta.

It's just a 3d chatroom/Sims.. thing.

There are even emos. Pick the most active area, and sit in the corner furthest from the group of people, and remain active enough to not get the 'be right back' tag under the username. Hilarious to see.

The apartment customisation is piss weak at best. About the only customisation that doesn't suck man danglies is the character - and even that's just a batch of sliders pretty much, the clothing choices are so limited you see many, many clones walking around. Also kinda funny to see people arguing about who had the clothes first.

Unfortunately, there's nothing there to keep me going back. So far, it sucks. There is absolutely no point. There's a nice crappy bowling alley with some arcade games, but owning a PS3, I would expect people want to play more than the kind of game that are bundled free with an OS :/

6. JonDixon

JonDixon Decking is the new modding

I downloaded on the closed beta.

Was having a play, when the wife walked in and took a look, asked what it was then said thats like 'Barbie World' for grown ups.

Nuff said really, havent touched it since!

7. War-Rasta

War-Rasta What's a Dremel?

I don't won a PS3 so I won't be trying this out, but according to what I've read it doesn't sound too interesting. According to what liratheal described this sounds like any mall anywhere in the world so there's nothing new there for me, but i guess it could have an appeal to the younger audiences.

8. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

It's a Second Life clone, nothing more, nothing less.

Before long, we'll be seeing stories in the tabloids about people in Home meeting, falling love, getting married, hiring hookers and getting divorced.

Really, there's nothing to see here. Move along, please.

9. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

sounds a bit sad to me, like second life. i know there's people who look down on video games in general, but ones where you have to create a whole other life because your first one is so crap are really just so very wrong

10. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Thank God you all feel the way I do!

I said similar things on the overclock3d forums and it seemed everyone there loved it and used it to bash the 360 :/

11. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

I like it, well mabey if its like the "sims online" i will.

12. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Do I have to remind everyone that it's still a beta? This isn't the final product; it's going to be constantly updated with content (hopefully) and as long as they add more customization to the apartments/lofts/etc., virtual 3D trophy rooms and game rooms for all popular and/or Sony-made titles then I think it's a win/step-forward.

I also want them to take advantage of virtual E3's, TGS's and GDC's. Now that would be sweet. While 360/Wii owners are watching for the latest news, PS3 owners could be experiencing it as if they were actually there. Now whether Sony allows PS3 owners to see other competitions booths, I really doubt it, but it's possible....

Don't get me wrong though, Sony still has a LOT to do. From what I saw, the application was pretty weak, but I was on an older build of the beta. Also, I don't see the appeal of me using it other than showing off trophies, seeing new stuff, checking out game rooms or attending virtual E3's....

The lack of customization (considering as long as it's taken to get out) needs to addressed and there needs to be places to visit and more things to do. Sony needs to add more content....constantly from now on, or else Home will get lost at the waistside.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2008
  13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Kind of ironic that they should call it "Second Life" when it is visited most by people who don't have a first one...

Sony "Home". For those who have no reason to ever leave theirs.

14. johnmustrule

johnmustrule What's a Dremel?

:lol: says the man with 13,500 posts.. :lol: cheesecake!

Anyways, I see both bit-tech and my other internet social venues as a nice exstension of my social life. You know.. when you want to talk to people but not really be near them.. or go on an eleven page Macintosh rant, :rock: whatever you fancy.

Though, I do know atleast one person who lives on their computer. :/

"Kind of ironic that they should call it "Second Life" when it is visited most by people who don't have a first one..." I was like "Oh snap!"

[​IMG]

notatoad likes this.
  15. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Last edited: 11 Dec 2008
  16. Pricester

Pricester What's a Dremel?

Sadly, a lot of the features are only available to the US region... no redo needed since Bit-Tech is predominantly UK targeted...

17. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

You do know that Home is being developed by SCEE, right? This means that most features/content should be available to Europeans rather than Americans (you would think)....

Tags: Add Tags