1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News "I'm Linux" ad competition launched

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Dec 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

Hmmm, most of the Linux people I know are a little on the hardcore side of techie and would not, in my opinion, make a good advertisment to encourage people to use Linux.

It'll be interesting to see how this ad turns out...

3. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

Personally i think that this won't hurt anyone, but it won't help either. People that are smart and open-minded enough to use Linux already use it and the rest - who cares about Micro$laves.

4. reaper1984

reaper1984 What's a Dremel?

How about we kick the ball rolling with:
    I'm a Linux, and if anything does go wrong with me you'll have to open up the kernal and type commands just like back in the dos days.

5. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

or just a picture of a someone stood there crying with a wireless card in one hand and an AMD gfx card in the other - "im linux, and i have to write my own drivers"

:)

6. amacieli

amacieli What's a Dremel?

@crompers: +1000!!

7. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

ROFLMAO!

8. [PUNK] crompers

haha, glad to see that one went down well. i was waiting for a flaming from linux heads

9. niceguy346

niceguy346 What's a Dremel?

10. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Along these lines (and I don't want to turn this into a flame) has anyone else noticed how pretentious the PC vs MAC adverts from Apple have become?
    They are now naming Vista by name and get away with essentially outright saying "vista sucks". Surely that's slander or libel or something?
    Their claims are also not 100% sure.

Honestly I see the good side of all 3 OS's anyway as well as the bad but still, these kind of adverts as a whole are starting to frustrate me a lot.

11. scarrmrcc

scarrmrcc What's a Dremel?

+1

it should be:
    "i'm apple's current OS, i work on apple computers. i am for the people with no understanding of computers, and artists."
    "i'm vista i work on everything else. i am for people that want to game, and do business. i am also for the normal computer user."
    "i'm linux i work with everything...if you can get the drivers. i am for people that actually understand computers, and how they work."

12. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Well i think i am going to put in an entry. I have a couple of Ideas.

You are getting a Silent Flaming :p

Last edited: 22 Dec 2008
  13. [PUNK] crompers

+1

linux is great if you can be bothered to put the time and effort in

14. bowman

bowman Minimodder

That's just silly.

Besides, 'I'm Linux', what? There are so many different distributions. Spend the cash on 'I'm Ubuntu' instead. It's the only one that has a chance to catch on for desktop use.

15. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Yea I tried it once but gave up after a day of failed attempts getting things setup. The same things Vista does automatically.

16. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

Yeah, beacuse thinking is far too much for some people.

"I am Linux and you need to have an IQ higher than your waist (in centimeters) to use me", and 95% of population will be out.

Most people are better off with "I am Vista (or a Mac, essentially they are the same) and you don't need any of this silly IQ thingy to use me, because I have shiny windows and will do everything for you, so you don't have to use your brain (which our labs confirm as a very painful process for most people)"

No offence meant.

17. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

ubuntu is nice but still to easy to brake and the newer ones seem to be getting easer to brake, WPA still hardly works on most distros of linux (including the EEPC)

they need to rework the command line system so you do not need to be an programmer to use it, like format or make an vol for it (the command for that i think is longer then my full name) and other basic things like installing an video driver or Any hardware for that matter

Folding@home you can tell an linux programer did it just form the console clients and the Full name flags thay use thats very unneeded and not bothering to add CPU affinity as an flag

i guess the above could be called an flame but windows things work and when command line is needed most of them do not need C+ knowing to make them work, linux is grate for servers (windows server with its SQL exploits and stuff good knows why any one would use it so insecure for secure stuff)

Howto in the past when linux was new was wonderful google search worked now i just get results that are not helpful,(used to use an web site that was basicly an index on what every command is and how to use each one)

18. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

19. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well if Linux actually wants to take hold of some market share, this is how to do it. Assuming the ads don't suck, anyways. Random bits of flamebait evangelism aren't going to cut it; they never have and never will. Actually "selling" it is just what needs to happen, even if it's free.

Of course, they really need to get their crap together with wireless drivers. I don't care if it's the cardmakers' faults, it's still Linux's problem.

20. Vittorio

Vittorio What's a Dremel?

"I'm OSX and run on Apple. I am for the people who want to get something done today and not bother reloading my OS every other week due to Virus problems and constant crashing"

"I'm Vista I crash on everything. I'm for the people who like to be sheep and spend there time re-installing and allow others to share my personel details"

"I'm Linux I work on everything and allow people to have a choice at no cost and i'm probably running this web server"

Anyway a PC is a "Personel Computer" and has nothing to do with the OS running on it.

Tags: Add Tags