1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Belkin Powerline AV Network Adapters

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 27 Dec 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Neat. I'll wait for the prices to come down though, still a bit too steep imo. But if a kit like this hovered in the $50 range I'd happily pick one up.

3. Teq

Teq What's a Dremel?

I had my Xbox attempting to run a media center extension via 802.11g and it couldn't even cope with SD signals, plugged this kit in (which just works btw - refreshing that there is no fiddling around to get it functional) and was instantly able to play hd media across the connection, no trouble at all, not only that but I am now also able to host 8 player games of Forza with friends and they have very stable connectivity to me. Sure it doesn't beat my cat5 to my main PC's (2 gaming rigs and a HTPC), but it makes anything other than the new 'n' standard wireless networking look absolutely appalling, my only small issue with them is that the first batch that arrived developed a fault within a couple of days.

4. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

at 30quid i'd pick up a pair

5. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

We have been using this setup(not Belkin) in our house for almost a year because one computer is out of wifi range. They are a generic provided by the ISP for 30 USD a piece. The box claims 85 MB/s, and that's probably a complete lie, but it has been plenty fast for browsing, and 100 percent reliable to the other end of the house. It's a great technology for this sort of thing. It would be nice if the price would come down a bit more though.

6. Sark.inc

Sark.inc What's a Dremel?

anyone have a good link to how this stuff works?

7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Does this also extend your network to the outside world over the power cables?

8. SkOTT

SkOTT What's a Dremel?

Nope, attenuation gives the signal a maximum range, your neighbours will be lucky to even see it, let alone connect.

Wikipedia knows all.

9. Glider

Glider /dev/null

The maximum range could be closer then you imagine, think about apartments... I don't like the feeling of giving physical access to my network to my neighbours...

10. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

simple router mac address filtering would take care of that though.

I do like this idea, even if it's to allow the optimum positioning of a wireless router. I see this tech being very useful in a few years once it has matured and improved a little more. Have most pc's connecting through the power lines, then have a wireless router for laptops, iphones etc.

Good review BT, nice to see the tech has improved :)

11. barrkel

barrkel What's a Dremel?

'm/s' is a unit of speed (metres per second), but I seriously doubt that the power-line transmission was that slow (24 metres per second).

'ms' is the prefix I believe you were looking for - milliseconds.

12. *Y@h00k@*

*Y@h00k@* What's a Dremel?

I use a kit similar like this from Devolo. It's got a config utility which let's you set a password, so no one lese will be able to connect to it, and they also have a model which will give you wireless access.

Great stuff

13. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Similar devices on the market all give an on-the-fly encryption option which according to reviews doesn't slow them down much.

But as it's you, the Linux fan,
    :duh:

:lol:

Last edited: 27 Dec 2008
  14. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Surely you would have that same problem with WiFi?

15. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

You can't use these things if there's a dimmer on the same power group...

16. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

so I wasnt sure if it was mentioned as I skimmed the "review" but how does this effect your power, wont it dirty your power even further?

17. OleJ

OleJ Me!

That would be "write/copy/read".

18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Been using the 200Mbps ones from Netgear with similar results, been running for over 2 years no problems whatsoever, so much better than wireless for me, as a warning they don't work in all houses which makes the outlay a little risky if you have problems returning it

19. Impossible

Impossible What's a Dremel?

I only had chance to skim read the artical, but wont the ethernet ports on these have to be GbE to be able to meet there maximum 200Mb/s?

Or are they 100Mb ports and the powerlines can do a 200Mb network, eg to allow more than three computers hogging the bandwidth.

20. andyp06

andyp06 What's a Dremel?

I've been running 3x200Mbps Netgear Powerline plugs as part of my network for about a year, as my WiFi was drowned out by the 12 or so other users in the neighbourhood. I love the Netgears as they give a consistent 85Mbps+ & the data dropouts I had with WiFi are no more. They work with dimmers but do need to be plugged into the wall socket, not an extension. The only thing that stops them is the electric meter, so the neighbours can't snoop, which is another bonus. Setting up secure encrypted WiFi was a royal pain which I don't need to do with the Powerline's, they are quite literally 'plug & go'.

Tags: Add Tags