1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News SlySoft: Blu-ray fully cracked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 31 Dec 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

It dosnt surprise me at all. After all, anything that can be engineered can be reversed engineered. Although with BD media costing upwards of the movies themselves, I dont see the point in making an on the fly duplicate. Your better off just buying it again. But I guess in the sense of 'media pc' this can be useful. After all, who wants to actually change discs out when you can have your entire library on a few TB's?

3. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

as i understand it, bd+ stores the decryption algorithm on the disc, but it only runs in a specific virtual machine on the bd+ compatible player. what slysoft has done is emulate the VM, so that even if macrovision decides to require a different decryption algorithm, the software can just read the new algorithm off the disk and start using it. the software should continue to work even after an update to the bd+ drm.

4. Nature

Nature Minimodder

macromergerfundlepants

and then some!

5. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

AnyDVD is worth the purchase price purely for the fact it lets you skip past those anti-piracy messages ("You wouldn't shoot a policeman. You wouldn't go to the toilet in the policeman's hat. You wouldn't mail the hat to his widow" etc.) and even skip the pointless "Do you really want to play the film you put in?" menus.

Oh and making your PC region free is a bonus too.

I've been completely satisfied with AnyDVD on my HTPC for a couple of years now. It really is a great program, with some obviously talented programmers.

6. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

AnyDVD (HD) is a great little piece of software. Even though I buy my DVDs (mostly when they're on sale) I bought the program because I applaud Slysoft's efforts to rid us of the tyranny of DRM. I can only urge everyone to buy a license too.

7. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Viva la resistance

8. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

Has anyone pirated AnyDVD? And if so, have they basked in the irony?

9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Great, now I'm going to need significantly more HDD space on my media server :sigh:

Actually, having done the maths, I'll stick to disc swapping for now.

Last edited: 31 Dec 2008
  10. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Lol!!! I'm sure they have.

11. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

Whilst I can totally understand the reasoning behind sticking blu-ray disks on an HTPC/media server and being able to stream it to any machine in the house, as Tad points out, at 50GB a pop you'll need some serious amount of HDD space to be able to include all but your very few favourites. A 1TB HDD might only support 20 dual layer blu-ray movies, and financially, it doesn't make sense (about £4 to store each one).

Even a moderate DVD collection can begin to quickly overwhelm your storage when you are doing 1:1 copies.

Bring on the cheap, supersize HDDs please!

12. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

great piece of software, AnyDVD. just great.

13. salesman

salesman Minimodder

There's a lot of BD that are not duel layer and furthermore the size of the video file is smaller still. Today's generation BD don't have video files at 50gigs. http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member..._pr_auth_rev?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview This is the most useful review I've found for BD check it out.

14. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

While some BDs are 50GB, well it's actually 44GB, I'm guessing that most people who take the time to rip their BDs to their computers won't mind re-encoding the ripped files to compress the file size down.

You can get some really good quality BD rips that weigh in at about 8GB, and when using some efficient codecs for the compression, you can end up with a video that's indistinguishable from the original source, well almost anyway.

15. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

<.<
    >.>

no, never...

SlySoft is forever and always my huggable, lovable, cuddlable snuggy-bear. With gigabit ethernet and a massive file server in the bedroom closet, this is a one-way ticket to media heaven.

Now that i'm done lauding the praises of slysoft, I must recommend that you not only use it, but pirate it, then rip a hard-copy pirate version of some film still in theaters.

It's like flushing all the toilets in an office building at the same time: simply magical.

16. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

it was going to be cracked sooner or later...

17. The_Gimpy

The_Gimpy What's a Dremel?

It's still probably cheaper to buy hd space then to buy blank blu ray discs. For the time being anyways.

18. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I hate HDCP, really there is no point to it other then to punish people, I have a DoubleSight 30" DS-305W LCD and I cant watch Blu-Ray on it because its not HDCP, so pisses me off so I have to rip my movies onto my system just to watch it. ~_~

19. Major

Major Guest

Normal BR rips off the net are around 4-5GB.

20. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Where's that from again?

Tags: Add Tags