1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Crytek buys Free Radical

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Feb 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

This is good news - hopefully Timesplitters 4 will be completed, and then I don't have to find the controllers for the Xbox for drunken shooting fests on Training Ground (Timesplitters doesn't like the 360)

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Bye bye, Time Splitters.

It was nice knowing you when you were fun.

4. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Strange since Haze was very similar to crysis!

5. The Jambo

The Jambo Last on the scene

Are they just buying companies where the main character has an awesome suit?

Seriously, Crysis, Haze, Timesplitters....

6. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Haze, crysis are like duke nukem use to say:
    "Your ass, your face... Whats the difference?"

Two ok games at most imo....

7. Vimesey

Vimesey What's a Dremel?

If timesplitters remain the stupid fun it was with the silly amount of characters (go gingerbread man!) then that'd be a definate buy for me. If Crytek were to make it more serious i'd cry, if they cancelled it all together i'd cry. I'm so manly

8. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Crytek would have been better off buying a company with a reputation for good story and involving characters with terribly buggy graphics than just another bland shooter company.

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

agree, Crysis and Timesplitters are very similar, they need a little diversity in their ranks

10. hodgy100

hodgy100 Minimodder

Free radical are more than "just another bland shooter company" they made time splitters which was one of the best FPS's on the PS2 back in the day.

Honestly a company brings out 1 bad game and they are suddenly classed as "just another bland shooter company"

Imagine if crytek allowed Free radical to make TS4 using the crytek engine :p

11. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Hmm, and I thought they were whining about sales and piracy, yet they are doing well enough as a PC only dev to buy out another dev.......

12. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Crytek are a lot better the people give them credit for.......I'll leave it at that, they ahev more balls at least then your typical mainstream console developer.

13. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

I'm quite fond of Free Radical being a Time Splitters fan and a Nottingham guy. Hope Crytek support GameCity like Free Radical did.

14. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

are you sure you've played the two? because the differences seem pretty night and day to me.

15. Loot3r

Loot3r What's a Dremel?

if you say crysis is not a great game then sorry to say you never played the game or you pc sucks! Sure its not the best and the story is not that great, but take a look at what they have done visually and a pretty decent AI too......people always love talking about the bad! I for one can say there is allot more greatness than failure in the game! As for Crytek buying Free Radical, well we just going to have ti wait and see....!

16. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Crysis is a great game, no doubt, but the story sucks and their imaginations could do with a bit of a massage. If they were to mix cryteks technological prowess with someone who knows how to tell a story and a person to tell them that mutants sucked in their last game and that aliens are no better in their new one then they might be able to make a whole game rather than just a really pretty one.

17. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Since when did was Free Radical only serving up tired old shooters? Have some of you not played Timesplitters? Both of those games were so much fun. Especially the multiplayer. Timesplitters was the closest "Goldeneye" multiplayer experience I had the pleasure of partaking in. I hope Crytek gets Free Radical started ASAP on a new Timesplitters. Putting out Haze over a Timesplitters game was probably the biggest mistake Free Radical ever made.

18. SolidSnakeUS

SolidSnakeUS What's a Dremel?

Remember, even though they still kind of filched Haze for the PS3, they can still do a great job on projects they've done before, such as Timesplitters. Also remember, a lot of Free Radical was from Rare, and most of these people left Rare when MS bought the company out and then made Free Radical. So some of the better programmers of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark left Rare and formed Free Radical. I will never put these guys in the hole, especially after the fun online of Future Perfect.

19. SolidSnakeUS

SolidSnakeUS What's a Dremel?

More than likely because of that, I'm sure Crytek won't keep them down. More than likely, they will help them with their work, which would be cool. Just don't let Crytek optimize their games haha.

20. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Actually the CryEngine was pretty damned well optimized...

Look at all the things it can do..

Tell me one engine where it has

3D water and Volumetric Clouds, and not to mention a badass editor..

Back on topic, I'll never forget playing TS2 and trying to run away from that flaming monkey...:p

Tags: Add Tags