1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia can’t compete without CPU, says Intel boss

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 Feb 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

I read this as "we want nVidia to make a CPU so that we can charge them licensing fees to use x86"

3. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

*continues to eat popcorn and sit in chair*

4. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

I hope Larrabe is twice as good as whatever nvidia can come up with, the lack of growth in actual speed is such a joke; probably because AMD cocked up so often...

5. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Matrox Cheesecake :D

6. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

given the stories last week that nV was 'secretly' working on a x86 chip perhaps this latest outburst is ill-advised? Or is Intel trying to force nV to show its hand....? v interesting. I see no downside to nV producing x86 chips in any case, particularly as Intel have Larabee on the way

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i think Intel has forgotten the days when they were the under-performers when competing with MIPS and other RISC processors.

with some tweaking, nVidia or ATI doesn't need a stupidly large x86 processor at all. Intel is scared.

8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

They didn't forget these times. It's always been like this: Whoever is/feels stronger start bashing the other. I WANT nVidia to produce an x86 based chip... more competition can't be bad.

Now I'll join Arkanrais if you don't mind... sweet or salty?

9. KoenVdd

KoenVdd What's a Dremel?

Awwww, isn't it sweet. It's like two newly weds or rather nearly weds constantly bickering.

10. GFC

GFC What's a Dremel?

"You can buy it from them or you can buy it [with only 1% of horsepower] from us". Here you go, fixed that.

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Do you know something we don't know, GFC? Who said Larrabee will only have 1%? :eyebrow:

12. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

If that was the issue, then I think AMD will be selling their Phenom II 4870 very soon... It's not that easy to make x86 code run on a GPU

13. Trefarm

Trefarm No matter what... It's all good

BORING.... where are the pistol duels, cage fights or battle of wits over which cup is poisoned...

Why not wait until you actually have a product before shooting your mouth off?

14. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

At this point i kinda wish AMD would go and drop an awesome solution to this debate right on the table out of no where, which blows Nvidia and Intel out the water.

AMD did the right thing in buying ATI, yeah sales dropped like hell when Coreduo came out, and there line of AM2 CPU's sucked.

However they are now producing solid plateforms for there CPU's and good stability with there own line of GPU's.

If i was Intel i wouldn't be worried about x86 on GPU, i would be worried about a cost effective plateform AMD could slap on us.

Imagin a motherboard with highend onboard graphics processing linked with a Quad core, basically a PS3 that runs windows, but upgradable via PCI-E slots, etc

15. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

If intel are going to dismiss GPGPU processing, then why the hell are they making a GPU out of x86 architecture?

Intel are losing my respect at an exponential rate with all this trash talk. I just hope Larrabee is actually worth waiting for.

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

no one said anything about x86 on GPGPU.

i was talking about modifying CUDA or OpenCL supersets C compilers to be able to run C programs without the need of a x86 processor.

17. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

Intel grew too arrogant over the years. That's why I never buy anything made by them.
    Larrabee will be nothing really exciting - it is good on paper, but Intel has a long history of making things great on paper but crappy in reality (think Netburst, Itanium, Xeons).

I have a dream in which nVidia teams with Via to make something really worthwhile - Via has the potential and the know-how, nVidia has the money and motivation. This could end up with something awesome and really innovative, like the recent ARM-based netbooks (good performance with HD capability, no heat or noisy cooling systems at all, small and compact with hours and hours of battery life. And i mean lots of hours - quoted 15 to 24 under load. And the best part - no Windows)

18. lnwolfy

lnwolfy Teh wolfy newb

ever since AMD purcheded ATI its been a head to head fight between nVidia and Intel, add to that the current economic climate, and you get a surface picture of whats going on. I seem to get a feel that the tide is shifting again, and something is srsly going to change

19. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

Doesn't nVidia own ULi now? And didn't ULi have an Intel license (For their M6117 Integrated unit, a 386SX SOC)?

I'm sure nVidia, with a little help from the guys at Via/Transmeta, could make a "Code Morphing" processor, to run x86 on a GPU...

Just a thought...

20. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

Nvidia and VIA.. hmm, I like the idea of that pairing. I wonder if either/both has what it takes to produce a competitive processor.

Tags: Add Tags