1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia reveals plans to make x86 CPU

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Mar 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Last para, there's a hyperlink that needs fixing.

It would be a shame if they didn't at least consider the server market - it'd really set the relix amongst the cheesecakes.

3. tejas

tejas What's a Dremel?

About effing time!! I 'll be in line for a couple of Nvidia x86 CPUs for myself and my server business!

Bring it on Nvidia! More competition for struggling AMD and bullying Intel is always a good thing! :)

4. Goty

Goty Minimodder

This just in: NVIDIA plans to make eight revisions of the same processor all with different product names, but with identical features and performance.

5. genesisofthesith

genesisofthesith complete spanner

1/Intel announce that they will work with TSMC to allow partners to integrate atom cores into custom products - highly integrated x86 system on chips. It will likely be 2 years down the line before we see products.

2/Nvidia announce they want to make a highly integrated 'nvidia' x86 system-on-chip for lower performance sectors, with a rough start date of two to three years down the line.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out Nvidia are going to be integrating Atom cores into their own system on chips. Theres no need for Nvidia to get an x86 licence as they can now simply licence the cores from intel and integrate them into their products.

6. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Your gonna use MID chips in your servers? Nice.

7. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I wonder if AMDs doing anything? My guess is that they already have the ITX thing down.

8. tejas

tejas What's a Dremel?

hehe maybe I will!! roflmao! :)

Seriously tho I meant if Nvidia make proper x86 CPUs and not just netbook level stuff. Of course if that does not happen then I am still happy to wait for AMD Istanbul 6 cores for my servers hehe ;)

9. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Don't they need to get there hands on a licence to manufacture x86 compatible cpu's?

10. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I was thinking just that :hehe:

11. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

Hmm two thoughts came to mind:
    Nvidia: "The CPU is Dead.. Long live the CPU (made by NVIDIA)"

and

Nvidia: "The CPU is dead what you need is a GPU with a few CPU capabilities"
    Intel: "The GPU is dead what you need is a CPU with GPU capabilities"

The question is.. would AMD not be perfectly positioned to make something in between that might actually work?

12. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

More compotition, go for it.

13. Goty

Goty Minimodder

AMD's fusion initiative is aimed at exactly this same spot, it just hasn't been in the new much lately.

14. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

I'd rather see Via in the high-end market than nVidia in low end/embedded market. While the competition is a good thing, I'm not sure if there will be any this way. nVidia will just buy chips from Intel and integrate them into own designs. (and continue selling the same thing under ten names ;) ) Anyway, it will still break my "no-Intel" policy so it doesn't make me excited.

15. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

the whole reason they want to make a "cpu" is because a few factors one being ray tracing, which is where on graphics side of the market AMD/ATI and Intel will have an advantage and why nVidia always bad mouthed it because they didnt have the tech to add to their GPUs and the other is the hybrid market, there are probably other reasons but those are the two main ones that I can see, I dont really see them getting into the CPU market to make CPUs for desktops and servers but to gain that side of the tech for their graphics cards and maybe at most the ITX market like their "ION".

16. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I'd rather phrase it this way: Would you put CPUs from a company with known chip designing issues (underfill issues, anyone?) into mission-critical servers? No, I thought not...

17. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

It made no sense but, Best Metaphor Ever. :)

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

why do they need a license to build x86 chips?? Intel owns the x86 instruction set?

19. bridgesentry

bridgesentry 3verything must bee wat3rcooled

It's the time to combine CPU with GPU, one-chip is always the cheapest solution + physX capability right? Mobile gaming systems really need it.

Last edited: 5 Mar 2009
  20. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

people can stop mentioning physX come next year it will be dead anyways lol thats why you havent seen it converted to be true gpu processing instead its being simulated with CUDA, they just wont admit that its going on its way out.

Tags: Add Tags