1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 16 Mar 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2009/03/16/gigabyte-ga-ex58-ud3r/1

Another Core i7 motherboard creeps in the price bracket of affordability along with the MSI X58 Pro at £160. Not only is the Gigabyte UD3R a damned sight better looking, this time the overclocking and cooling performance is one thing that has not been trimmed off to keep the costs down.

:dremel:

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

When do we get a review of the Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P or Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P? All I see is Intel i7motherboards and almost nothing of AMD new AM3 socket boards. It almost seems like BT becomes a pro Intel site :(

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I'm doing I'm doing!!!

That said.. we have a mini-ITX Intel-Nvidia for mid-week :blush:

But I have a few AMD articles coming! Honest!

4. dec

dec [blank space]

so you put the 3 sticks of RAM in the 3 white slots for this motherboard? one random blue slot throws me off. i hope AMD makes a core i7 killer soon cause ~$250 for one isnt worth the money compared to other prices for other quad cores......

5. aron311

aron311 What's a Dremel?

This motherboard is a bit of a contradiction isn't it? High end chipset on a power saving mainstream featured board.

6. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Soon ain't going to happen. Even better, AMD is in a perfect position right now with the crisis going on. It's cheap and it stands up against the big brother. Ok it's not i7 performance, but second best for a few hundred less is much more convenient now. I need to pay the bills too and the bills are not cheap!

7. Undercloacker

Undercloacker AirFlow

Im w8ing on the GA-EX58-EXTREME review :p

8. Mr Mario

Mr Mario What's a Dremel?

I was hopping you would review this board :D I may upgrade to an i7 system now, as the cost doesn't seem to high, with good value boards and Ram, the only big cost is the cpu which isn't too much considering it's future proof.

9. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

So is the only difference between this board and the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R SLI, the Nvidia SLI licence fee?

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes. Both are BIOS flash compatible.

11. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

Thx, something for nought!, would flashing with the SLI bios void the warranty?

12. chambochae

chambochae What's a Dremel?

Is it me or does gigabyte flood the market with boards which are almost identical in every way?

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Page 2 bullet point seems to be a copy/paste from the UD4P?

14. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I think there was mention a while ago that bit were struggling to review mobos other than Intel-based ones mainly because of crap/fail bioses/mobos.

Uh, ok. First thing I notice (I haven't read the review yet, just looking at the pretties) the silkscreen print on the mobo is (for the most part) upside down (well, top to bottom anyway) !

15. naokaji

naokaji whatever

I have both, the 790XT-UD4P and the 790FXT-UD5P and they are really nothing special.
    The UD4P was dead a few minutes after windows finished installing and the UD5P has a great layout, but thats about it, the bios is very immature, it's probably for the better that bit-tech has not reviewed them yet.

I fear so, would be better if they would use the outer 3 slots to increase spacing between cpu cooler and oversize ram heatsinks.

Agree, they are turning more and more into Asus v2 with the number of boards they are releasing.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Fixed, thanks.

Probably, technically, but so does overclocking..

The UD5P required several BIOS' to get working how we wanted - but it's all there now. Gigabyte are generally fantastic at getting their BIOS' fixed for us. The Asus I've had no problem with, it's just a case of sitting down to do them when I've got other things mid-go.

The last F4 BIOS for the UD5P I had was very good and fixed our issues. :)

17. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

I have to say that i like Gigabytes recent 'Ultra Durable 3' boards. Much better then thier previous offerings and giving asus a run for thier money at last.

18. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Especially those P45 UD3 ones, it pretty much destroyed my friends Asus P5Q Pro.

Well my UD3P that is.

19. ssenginss

ssenginss What's a Dremel?

I am a little bit confused when I look through the test system of this review. That while the most of competitor boards have a full of 6GB RAM on them, UD3R is only capable of 1x4 = 4 GB in total. Is that the reason why UD3R the worst at memory latency test ? And if so is not it unjust :) ?

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

3x2GB = 6GB.

Most 6GB kits out there are not using 1GB sticks.

Tags: Add Tags