1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve: "Steamworks makes DRM obsolete"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Mar 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

now that is how anti-copy should be done

although, it does still prevent re-sale of games, but Valve and Steam has never allowed that...

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

The only thing I'd ask is for a system in Steam to create simply and easilly create a hardcopy of your game, that you can reinstall when necessary without the need to download it again. I get a bit worried sometimes about only having soft copies of all my games, regardless of how secure the Steam servers may be.

4. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

er. there is a backup tool built into steam. or, just back up the steamapps folder - they're just assets, and will be recognised as your games next time you reinstall and log in.

5. Trefarm

Trefarm No matter what... It's all good

Dear Publishers... it would be nice if you could prehaps, just this once, have a little talk and come up with ONE anti-piracy measure. You claim that all these tech savvy people are stealing your games, I'm not so sure I agree but hey it's your PR your trashing when you call me a thief. You see I find it a bit much when every game I install rummages through the Reg, tweaks whatever it likes and sets up home like a squatter, but one dirty squatter I can just about tame, at least with just one I know who to blame.
    How would you feel if THREE squatters were living in your front room? What about SIX?
    You see people steal your games for many reasons, it's too rubbish to buy, it's easier to torrent than walk to the shops and wait for it... it won't come packaged with shoddy anti-piracy code.
    The way I see it is your going to have to think about the future of your industry, because you guys make these games.. .but I decide whether or not to BUY them.

Yours Sincerely T "If a dumb arse like me can think of a reasonable solution WTF" Farm.

P.S Dear SecuRom, if your anti-piracy measure is so badly coded that it actually fully spanners Explorer, so bad you have to release a patch to fix the problem, could you try and TELL ME YOU PR#@KS... it's quite frustrating to have endevoured over a period of several days to solve an issue beyond my technical competance only to find on a forum in the arse end of the web a tiny post mentioning it's your product that was causing my distress.

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Aye - that's what we do for testing. Just copy the Steam folders you need and burn them to a disk or flash key, network drive etc. Copy at will.

7. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

That saves me from having to download a couple thousand CS and CSS maps. I just copy it from one PC to another

8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

If CEG is just a fancy term/acronym for a watermark, then that's fine. If the executable is truly generated with a unique structure, then that's bad in my book. For one, it could (would!) make it harder to track down bugs.

9. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

But, doesn't this mean that if a friend logs on to his steam account on my PC that there will have to be separate steam installs or at least steam apps folders for the two accounts?

I say this because I play LAN games with friends on my home computers, and up until now my friend has just had to sign in to steam with his account.

Once he's signed in, all the games we both have bought show up as installed and ready to play. Games that we don't both have show up as installed but needs to be purchased to play.

This will mess that up won't it?

10. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

I'm still not a big fan of steam because I don't use 80% of its features. I just need my game and DLC. I use vent to chat with all my friends or GFWL (PC&360).

11. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

I've always been happy with the way steam handles DRM, and this offering should help to bring other publishers around to their way of thinking, which can only be a good thing.

As long as I can play the games I have payed for, I'm happy, and that's why I've had problems with other drm, such as my £70 copy of spore, which I can't play because the DRM doesn't believe I have a legal copy... £70 down the drain.

12. Venares

Venares What's a Dremel?

As long as it remains transparent to average joe user then I dont see any problem with this system at all.
    Now if only they could get off there rears and get EA games (Mass Effect) on the UK steam, that would be nice :D

13. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

Yeah DRM is obsolete since the servers are crashing so often no one can get a complete game in.

14. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

One additional "restriction"/downside to steam, is that unlike a traditional "games library", you can only have one steam title "checked out" at a time. Ie. with physical copies if I want to play one game upstairs, and let the gf play another on her machine, that is no problem. With Steam though, only 1 person can be signed in at a time which means only 1 game can be played at any given time. When your library starts to get quite big it can be a significant restriction.

15. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

offline mode is your friend.

16. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

telling content owners how useless their DRM is hasn't done anything in the past, i don't see how that will change now. the idiots in the boardroom are still going to put all kinds of crapware in with their games.

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i tend to buy cheap second hand copies or when the game reaches about 20€, steam is awesome but lacks some features...

18. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I think steam is great, although i have to admit that I dont use it alot, btu I find it fantastic that I can log onto steam(even after not logging into it for over a year) on a completly different PC, and download the game i bought years ago.
    My original halflife CD has long dissapeared between moving bedrooms in my parents house and then moving into my own house. But I tied the CD key to steam as soon as it came out and now I can just log in and download it whenever i want with no additional costs. I bought HL2:EP2 ages ago, and have never got around to playing it, but I am happy to know that I can see it on my steam games list as ready to install if I wish.
    Plus I still have a free version of HL2 and episode 1 invite to give away to someone sitting in my steam account.

19. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

Whatever, I give this tech 5 days after it's introduced before it's cracked. If I got a dollar every time I heard about "uncrackable" content protection systems... Steam in itself was cracked long time ago (many "pirated" games are actually Steam rips).

20. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

+1

Tags: Add Tags