1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Corsair launches 256GB Performance SSD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Apr 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

Oh this is bad ass! 200MB/s with 256GB, I can see this as being my primary storage device.

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

mmm delicious hdd nom nom nom

4. shadysam

shadysam What's a Dremel?

i already owned the OCZ Apex 120GB SSD xD but it would be nice to have more memories xD oh and by the way Super Talent had annonced the new SSD with 512GB 2.5 inch xD

5. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

I'd love one of these in a netbook

6. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

this are becoming more and more interesting, they are catching up to the mechanical pretty fast..

7. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Sequential speeds are all well and good, but what about random reads and writes? That's where pretty much every SSD maker with the exception of Intel fails miserably.

8. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Exactly Goty - can Bit ensure that they test for random I/O.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

Updated the article with the first official photo from Corsair.

10. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

It's too expensive. In fact, it's so expensive that the price wasn't even mentioned. :\

11. Slyr7.62

Slyr7.62 «ŚŁÂŶÈŘ»

Exactly why I don't even simply have a Raptor(X) yet.

I'd just like to have 300 or 600GB of RaptorX goodness for under $300, but I think when I finally get a new HDD it'll be either a 640, 750, or 1TB WD Cav Black. Unless I get a really good paying job, I doubt I'll be testing any SSD's for awhile. :yawn:

Last edited: 8 Apr 2009
  12. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Can't wait to see Bt's review! :D

13. exceededgoku

exceededgoku What's a Dremel?

Any indication on the price?

14. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

There's talk on the interwebs about it retailing at around $749.... Anyone's guess for the UK price really, but pricey!

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

If it's better than the X-25 than let the battle begin. If not....*crash*......*BOOM!*

16. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

I doubt the random I/O will be as good - and as such, it'll fail. I doubt anyone will challenge Intel for a while - hence why I have a few of the 160GB ones on order :p

17. Mantronic

Mantronic What's a Dremel?

What's the life expectancy of an SSD?

I can see making a switch from platters to solid state sometime in the future but not until they drop in price and improve performance. I feel they're too expensive for what you get to even consider buying one right now.

18. alecamused

alecamused Minimodder

i took some work home lately (4x ocz vertex + 3ware sas controller which i was allowed to buy just to find out if we should consider ssds for workstations)..

i'm running a p4d on the asus p5wd2-e which is - by todays standards - ancient hardware. Still it's incredible how much faster and more responsive everything is with 4x ssd in raid0. benchmark results didn't vary too much from reviews, but thats only numbers. comparing vista64 installations i have to say that one of the drives (after partition aligning) is a great way to improve the vista-experience but 4 of them in raid0 ... cocaine for a hummingbird. booting vista: 43sec (vs ~90sec on conventional hdd), photoshop cs4:10 sec (vs ~40sec on conventional hdd), the complete office suite (excel, word, powerpoint) <2sec. Loading time and general performance in games improved a lot too.

My next upgrade will certainly include one (or depending on prices at that time even more) ssd for system/applications.

19. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

There was an interesting read on another site (http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3535) this article went into great detail and controversy over some of the issues facing SSDs. The information inside it is very helpful when considering the jump to SSD and if you are considering spending that much money.

I would still give the market another year and a half before SSD's become viable replacements. I think the netbook market is helping and with ram prices going the way they are I cant imagine SSD's wont soon follow.

Tags: Add Tags